• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

what to replace at 77,000

usmc_05

Hello all i, am new to the forum and just recently bought an M1009. I have 1 million questions, and after searching the forums long enough i think i am ready to ask a few questions! First off my K5 runs great but im going to school soon and dont want any serious maintnance probs. So what im looking at right now is damage control, what are some things that should be replaced around 70k ive already replaced the u joints and wheel bearings, im thinkin next to replace the master cylinder and the fuel pump (where is that btw) any other suggestions? Next i was wondering whether or not i am running off of a 12 or 24v system, the guy i bought it from seems to think it was running off of the 12 like it should, but im skeptical. The batterys are linked together, the pos to the neg and so on, so im not sure what voltage they are pushing? I know this is a popular question and i have searched for it but all i can find is how to convert to 12v and why its a bad idea ha. Any help with these questions would be greatly appreciated! thanks

dstang97

its 24 volts if it goes positive to negative. keep it 24v. Keep reading the threads you will learn so much. I would change all of the fluids and replace parts as necessary.

ralbelt

First rule of owning a CUCV. If its rubber replace it if its electrical clean it.
Second rule is, do the Doghead Starter Relay Repair.
Third rule is see rule 1 and 2.

ralbelt

Fuel pump is located on the right front lower corner of the engine right next to the frame, not a lot of room to work but you are better off doing it at home rather than at school.

rnd-motorsports

As stated above from what you said about batterys your still 24 volt or at least the starter is the rest of the truck is 12 volt. it should have 2 alternators driver side is front bat. and pass side is rear bat. Do your self a BIG problem solver if its not already done do the doghead starter relay before you go to school the starter relay that gm used its not if it will fail but when! Change it and save your starter now.
Just a good check over as on any truck or car sounds like your on the correct road belts,brakes,tires,hoses,fluids,filters check antifreeze freeze point not just level wipers,lites,heater/fan you should be good to go! Good luck :grd:
One little note do not jump start anybodys car or truck with yours!

usmc_05

Ok got some great info thanks. But one question what is a dog head starter relay, is that an aftermarket relay, if so is doghead the brand or type? And why wouldnt i want to jump someones car with mine?

91W350

I jump people with mine, I just disconnect the cable between the batteries and jump off of the battery closest to the radiator....unless it is another 24 volt truck of course.....

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can safely jump start a 12 volt vehicle with a stock CUCV and a standard set of jumper cables.

No need to disconnect anything.

Wolf.Dose

OK, 77000 miles. The engine should be broken in. What do you have to check / replace?
V-Belts replace them all, buy the best quality you can get. Fuel filter: Can wait until you have a leak of power, then the filter is partly cloged, but the truck still runs some 65 mph.
Engine oil and filter should be changed. Used oil specs as stated on the dip stick. Change every 5000 miles. No syntetic junk! The engine is not designed for that!
Transmission: Change if you do not know the age, including filter. If the oil smells slightly burned, you will have a trouble coming up. Trans needs a rebuilt. The transfer needs not that much attention, however, just changing oil, do it as well. Axles should be checked, if oil age is unknown, change. (Change interval is some 20000 miles, do not forget the aditive for lim slip diff!)
Electric: for the next some 40000 miles the glow system should work. Altinators are s slight problem, diode plates tend to fail which then needs a diode plate and regulator change. Injection pump should survive some 40000 miles more (can be extended by adding about 1% of cheep engine oil to the Diesel fuel), master cylinder is not known as a problem exept the reservoir cartridge. The booster should be supplied with sufficiant oil pressure. If the system tends to fail, you will notice it with brake / steering performance. But this will happen out of the sudden.
Hope this helps.
Wolf

Timber

OK, 77000 miles. The engine should be broken in. What do you have to check / replace?
V-Belts replace them all, buy the best quality you can get. Fuel filter: Can wait until you have a leak of power, then the filter is partly cloged, but the truck still runs some 65 mph.
Engine oil and filter should be changed. Used oil specs as stated on the dip stick. Change every 5000 miles. No syntetic junk! The engine is not designed for that!
Transmission: Change if you do not know the age, including filter. If the oil smells slightly burned, you will have a trouble coming up. Trans needs a rebuilt. The transfer needs not that much attention, however, just changing oil, do it as well. Axles should be checked, if oil age is unknown, change. (Change interval is some 20000 miles, do not forget the aditive for lim slip diff!)
Electric: for the next some 40000 miles the glow system should work. Altinators are s slight problem, diode plates tend to fail which then needs a diode plate and regulator change. Injection pump should survive some 40000 miles more (can be extended by adding about 1% of cheep engine oil to the Diesel fuel), master cylinder is not known as a problem exept the reservoir cartridge. The booster should be supplied with sufficiant oil pressure. If the system tends to fail, you will notice it with brake / steering performance. But this will happen out of the sudden.
Hope this helps.
Wolf
Gov-loc is not a limited slip differential and posi lube will damage it.