• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What tools should I buy?

linx310

While I am waiting for my EUC to clear for my M1009 I am wondering what tools I need to work on it.

I already have the usual set of metric and standard wrench, sockets, and air tools.

What special tools will I need? Glow plug wrench?

I am also doing a banks turbo install so if you guys can think of any tools that make the job easier let me know.

JAsher45

an extend set of tools is all you really need for these trucks unless you really plan on tearing into it and the list would be a mile long. about the few that i would say would be an injector socket,a flex head 15 rachet wrench, a good multimeter, GM hub socket, Vaccume guage and thats about all i can really think of

Wolf.Dose

You ned something for the rear axle limited slip diff, but with some thinking you can make the tool needed by yourself. It is it push out the bushings of the counter reaction shafts. With a screw driver or simelar they burst and are not useable anymore. And I do not know , weather these bushings are stock any more.
Wolf
P.S. : I own a working home made device for that, push them out and made to push them back in.

Wolf.Dose

Southdave,
your answere is not the smartest one! Reason I consider brake flued is a basic device to be changed as many others here , too.
Chlorine tablets are, let me say, an intermediated advice! You easyly find out weather the radiator is clogged or not. The advice of some 3rd teeth cleaner located in the lower part of the tubing makes mush more sence when you then warm the water filled up cooling to normal themperature and then make a cleaning flushing of the cooling system for at least 2 times with heating up.
Or replace the radiaror.
Wolf

Last edited:

southdave

brake fuild + Chorine tablet = fire ,Hot and smokey one at that pretty blue flame. I am just frustraded at myself and my commitment to my 1009 it runs turbo installed,700r4 installed, just need to hook up brakes and takit to get the tranny set up.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tools? Hmm. Front hub socket comes to mind. If you don't have a T15 torx, you soon will. A 15MM "S" wrench to loosen the IP. The already mentioned injector socket. I also find the spanner wrench used to turn the IP very handy.

paramilusmc

What about the needle point greaser used to lubricate the constant velocity joint, front propeller shaft, or an oil can for the oil can Points?

Can anyone direct where to buy these tools?

DXTAC

Duct tape, vice grips, hammer, BIG hammer, epoxy, floor jack, jack stands, sockets, wrenches, cheater bar for said wrenches, screwdrivers, goggles (rust/particle removal), pry bars (all sizes), WD-40 or similar, grease, grease gun, patience, gloves (especially for gear lube), band-aids and many more I'm sure I forgot! These are a GREAT excuse to buy more tools!!

Thx,

OL AG '89

:lost:I thought the mixture was chlorine and pinesol.......
I'l have to try the brake fluid mix....... BIG blue flame or little blue flame?????
never mind I'll figure it out...
guess I need to remember to yell "fire in the hole" 3 times....

Anybody mention a good set of LIGHTS..... I seem to find myself working on mine between the hours dark to dawn..... sleep is so overated.... besides that why I have an office with a locking door at work........
Oh and depending on your age, some Midol or Ben-gay or 500mg pain relievers......

Last edited:

airmech3839

A good set of metric tools...sockets and wrenches... GearWrenches Rock!!! I recommend that everyone should have a set of standard and metric gearwrenches in their toolbox! A mini sledge is always a must plus a set of prybars up to 2-3' long!! They help for changing belts!!

Hoolio

If yours is anything like my M-1008.....Buy one of everything..With only 8200 miles on it ....I'm getting intimately familiar with this truck and it's quirky problems..