• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What tools to bring to DRMO to check fluids before removal?

ida34

I am taking a closer look at my deuce at DRMO at Selfridge in MI. I am going to evaluate towing or driving home when my euc gets approved. What tools do I need to bring to check all the fluids? I plan to check the trans, transfer case, all diffs, brake fluid, and oil. This thing was driven in so it should be at least ok but I really need to check to be sure. I only need to get it about 60 miles to my house then I will change all fluids. I also would like to know how accesible the oil line to the turbo is? Any help is greatly appreciated. Any one else picking up from Selfridge in the near future? Anyone had problems getting a Michigan title and plate? I am going to try and get one in Mount Clemons after I get the SF97 so that I can drive the deuce home legally.

Thanks
Chuck

M35guy

For info on what to bring, see the deuce list at the top of the page. IMO, if it was driven in, it should be ok to drive out, but might not be. its your call.

Wyattearp

Yeah it should be okay but make sure you take plenty of fluids with you to fill up anything that may have been drained, oil, transfer case, ect.... Some members have said that some trucks get picked over while they are sitting so hopefully all the parts will be there but just a heads up on that also... Call the site and get ahold of someone, if you go and preview it in person take a camera, take pics if you can.... good luck...

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A 1/2 inch drive ratchet fits all the fill plugs on the tranny, t-case, and axles. Unless it's broke or leaking badly don't mess with the oil line to the turbo. It uses oil from the engine, and is lubed from the oil pump. Don't forget to let it idle for 2min before you shut it down. This cools the turbo so that it won't cook the oil in the turbo.

Low-Tech-Redneck

Take enough to completely top off, when we went to DRMO to look at a friends deuce, we brought a couple quarts of everything just to top off, but didn't expect to find the truck completely drained of all fluids, make sure you have enough to top off in the event yours is bone-dry when you get to it. Otherwise, you'll be doing like us and having to find a hardware store/small engine shop/car parts place that's open and has a 5 gallon bucket of 30W handy

ida34

I apprecite the responses. I am taking enough fluid to fill everything from empty. I plan on changing all the fluids so I bought enough to do it. I hope my topping off is minimal since I will be draining it all as soon as I get home. Thanks to all for the help.

Chuck

Wyattearp

I would also take 4 gal antifreeze and 4 gal of distilled water that makes your 8 gallon mix of coolant also gives you a 50/50 mix

ida34

Thanks Wyatt. I must be slipping in my old age. I forgot about the Antifreeze. I will have to pick some up.

Chuck

Armada

Ida34, You're the guy! Now I know where to get troop seats, ignition switch, and batteries from. hehe
I bid on that one. Stopped at 1400. Decided to take a chance and go with this one as I wanted the dropside box anyway for the one I already have. Got it for even less. They said running condition unknown, towed in.

I broke the rules by bidding before inspecting, but after I won the bid, I stopped down there a couple weeks ago with an ignition switch (showed it missing in the pic), hooked it up and it had power. Checked all fluids, etc., and cranked it over. Fired right up. Great oil and air pressure. Drove it around the lot. Brakes worked fine. It has new tires all around. I'll report more after tomorrow. Pappa-G and I are going there in the a.m. to get it. We're driving my duece down with the towbar, just in case.

Congrats on your truck. Stop in there tomorrow by 10:00 and we'll help you out with it. We've got single pin jumpers too. If you can't make it, we can look it over for you for anything that would keep it from being road worthy. (hope nothing follows us home...... :) )
You did good on the price. Runners almost always go above $2,000, no matter what the condition, (check out the current trucks being auctioned there).
You have a lot of "fun" ahead of you. Let me know if you ever have questions, glad to help.
And seriously, if you want to sell those troop seats, let me know.

Attachments

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why is the tarp bows so high in the auction pics? Are they not in the pockets all the way, or extra tall?

Last edited:

NEIOWA

Stretch44875 said:
Why is the tarp bows so high in the auction pics? Are they not in the pockets all the way, or extra tall?
Quite frequently side section of bows are replaced with extralong section on HQ company/plt duece to provide standing room. Particularily seen on Supply Sgt's Winnabego/personal den&bedroom

ida34

Armada,
I liked yours because of being a cargo and being painted tan and looking like a desert storm vet. When I left for storm with the 18th airborne corp we did not have time to paint any of our vehicles. They were on ships a week after Iraq invaded. Think through it I will paint this one to match my truck while I was in country. This means keeping the woodland camo but changing the markings. I was in a battalion that was forward deployed to the 101st so I claim it as my unit more that the bragg units.
I also saw vehicles with longer side stakes and this was usually to cover a plywood buildup to make a regular truck function like a shopvan. I assume this was the case hear since this one came from a maint unit. As to the troop seats, I will be using them and this actually influenced my decision to buy this one. I figured it would be easier to get a cargo cover, bows, elbows, and side stakes then it would be to get all of that plus troop seats. The only other thing that I thougt I would want is a winch and hard top. I am debating the hard top but will install a winch if I find one. I will be on the look out for troopseats for you and let you know if I find any.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks