• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What transfer case do I have?

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
NP242 should be the only one used in A2 trucks.

The parts manual clearly shows that for your truck (Usable On Code C17) uses NSN 2520014092512 for the transfer case.
That transfer case comes up as the NP242 when searched.

all the manuals for your truck are posted here, and the parts manuals end in -24

Last edited:

Agelai

Get some
yeah and these forums sometimes get a little crazy with random information spread out into 37 treads.

I want to try and find a rebuild kit for this, so I'll start my searching on the NP242.
I'm also looking for the gear selector for this, we shall see what I can find.

Vapor Trail

I'm confused. When I googled NP242 it says selectable 2 and 4 WD but I thought HMMwvs were all time all wheel drive which is the duty of the transfer case so which is correct?

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
🤔 Full time slip with lock up... low or hi.

Climb under and read the tag on the back of TC. The little round one, about the size of a silver dollar.

Everyone doing all the work 🏃‍♂️🏋️‍♂️🏋️‍♀️ tired me out, CAMO 😴

Something to read > https://static.e-publishing.af.mil/production/1/af_a4/publication/qtp24-3-l530/qtp24-3-l530.pdf
Gee... That is a "-10" TM on steroids. 8 hours worth of training time before you get cut loose with one. Hmmm. Almost wonder if the auction houses wouldn't do the world a favor if every buyer got one of these with their truck.

Put it in the air filter box - wedged against the intake - so it had to be seen. Bright yellow cover with READ ME on the outside of the book.

Agelai

Get some
Yeah this is where I get a little confused, on the hmmwv the lever indicators are HL, H, N, L and a regular truck 2H, 4H, N, 4L

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah this is where I get a little confused, on the hmmwv the lever indicators are HL, H, N, L and a regular truck 2H, 4H, N, 4L
The HMMWV has "full time FWD" in H it is driving both axles through a DIFFERENTIAL in the transfer case meaning in H you could jack up ether end and not go anywhere, similar to an open differential in a rear end, if you jack up one wheel it will not go anywhere but in "normal" operation it is siad to be driving both wheels. in HL it bypasses or "locks" that differential so it is pulling on both axles, same in L only the transfer case is also using a gear reduction at that time.
The reason even an "open" differential automatically tries to bias power to both of its outputs is because just like the rear end if you spin one wheel only it will be turning twice as fast as it would be if both wheels were turning., just the way a differential works.

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Then of course you have "automatic" 4WD or 6WD like the M35, it uses a rather ingenious setup, the front diff has a slightly different gear ratio than the rear diffs. so under normal operation (on pavement for example) the front driveshaft is turning slightly faster than the rear driveshaft, the front output in the transfer case has an overrunning clutch (sprag) so under normal operation because the front shaft is turning faster then the rear there is no power going to the front shaft as it is simply "overrunning" the rear shaft.
Now when the rear tires start to slip and the rear shaft tries to turn faster than the front shaft due to slippage the sprag clutch locks up and you have automatic 6WD.