• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What type of spray gun?

Digger09

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just wondering what type of spray gun would you guys recomend to do a new camo paint job on a deuce. I have an old school spray gun which is fine for one color but for camo it woudnt work. Any help would be much appreciated.

Nonotagain

Just wondering what type of spray gun would you guys recomend to do a new camo paint job on a deuce. I have an old school spray gun which is fine for one color but for camo it woudnt work. Any help would be much appreciated.
OK, I'll bite.

Why wouldn't your old non-hvlp spraygun work for a three color paint job?

The only reason that HVLP and gravity feed sprayguns exist is due to a federal requirement to increase transfer effiency to reduce VOC's.

If you are looking at a cheap throw-away gun, get one of the Harbor Freight HVLP gravity feed guns.

In my production aerospace shop, other than a few sepcialized applications, the Harbor Freight guns have replaced all of the Binks and DeVilbiss sprayguns due to constantly increasing cost of repalcement parts.

I purchase 2 dozen of the HF guns at a time, wth regulator. The HF guns cost less than what I was paying for a Binks or DeVilbiss spraygun tip and needle. - Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Bill W

I shot my deuce with a 2qt remote spraygun from Northern Tool ( $75 ), Now just recently I painted my daughters VW with Automotive acrylic enamel and a $25 ( on sale ) gravity feed from HF, I was happy as heck with the results.

Attachments

Last edited:

Tlauden

Agree with the harbor freight guns, my uncle has one he uses and he loves it. But about the original post... If you already have a gun why can you not use that one??

BlizzardX23

I believe he may be concerned with spraying the pattern...and not getting over spray all over? maybe Im wrong though...thats my concern though..hahah which is why my truck is just tan right now

kennys@wi.rr.com

My onlye concern is that my electric compressor can't keep up with a gravity fed type and my gass compressor is very loud and doesn't have a dryer. That's why I was asking about the electric turbine hvlp from HF.

Nonotagain

My onlye concern is that my electric compressor can't keep up with a gravity fed type and my gass compressor is very loud and doesn't have a dryer. That's why I was asking about the electric turbine hvlp from HF.
If your air compressor can't keep up with your spraying, you might want to turn down the air pressure on the gun.

You don't mention how large of a compressor, either compressor CFM or tank size. A gravity feed gun will only require 15-20 psi to spray CARC type paints.

Turn the pressure down and possibly thin your paint a little which will help with the amomization of the paint.

Last edited:

3dAngus

I am so happy to see this thread. I have two Harbor Freight guns and I wanted to use one to paint my tractor this spring, but was afraid to. Thanks guys!

Bill W

A buddy of mine used a bottom of the line model Campbell Hausfeld turbine sprayer to shoot his M-38 with Gillespie paint and it turned out fine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks