• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What would a M1028 RPM's be with 410 gears and stock tire?I

huggy

I am trying to find an answer to what my M1028 would be running with 410 gearing and stock tires on the highway at 65 to 70MPH? Can anyone give me a clue, and I would also love to install a tach on the thing but have not a clue as to where I would need to hook one up at on the motor!!! Please any help would be great and I will be thankfull for the help, Huggy

tim292stro

Assuming stock drive train other than the final gear range you're looking at 3000-3500RPM for those highway speeds - and this assumes your torque conveter is locked up. You can hook up the lower (12volt) alternator to an electronic tach if there is an exposed AC terminal or tap it into a stator phase before the diodes if not. If you're dead set on mechanical, you can find a kit to branch the shaft of the vacuum pump, or directly tap the back of the cam shaft.

huggy

Thanks for the response! I just asked the trans shop about the torque converter, and he said it is not a locking torque converter. I am not a trans man, I just intsalled it... so, is this RPM bad for the thing to run? It is a 2.5 hour trip for me to get to Chicago. It seemed to run great and I have drove it up here around the the streets. I checked the oil and fluids and all is good and still full. What ya say tim292stro and thanks!

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Non-lockup converter would add 200-300 rpm at speed. My two civvy trucks with 6.5 engines of the same family as yours have a "soft" redline at 3000 and a "hard" redline on the factory tachs. Soft redline is "do not exceed for long". Hard is "not to exceed".

I don't think 4.10 gears are stock so I assume you changed them. If stock, then rpm would be even higher. So in short, I wouldn't if it were mine. How about mounting a pair of really tall tires in the rear for the trip?

huggy

Check out www.tinytach.com for an easy to install tach.
I just spoke with this company after you showed this to me. I am right by this co. so I am gonna stop there tomorrow before I head out of here. I spoke with a diesel shop back in my home town, and he says that the 3,000 to 3,500 rpm is fine withthese trucks motors and that they actually like the higher rpm's. Also that if you were to lug it at a lower 1,500 or so rpm with a load is worse for it than to rev it! Thank you

huggy

The shop is in Grand Mound, Ia. His name is Dick Hesse, and he is a wicked builder of diesels. He builds machines to run at the Salt Flats and weight pulls. He has an inground dyno in the shop that he runs machines on all the time.

huggy

VPed, thank you... I guess that would be and Idea!!! I will prolly just buy another set of tires slowly as I can, and have them mounted for trips if I need to take the truck. Then just change them if needed.... I also have 2 of the cucv Blazer's that i can use to go on highway trips.

huggy

Also, ""no the 410's are not stock gears..... The M1028's had 456 gears, and now have 410 gearing so it should be not as bad on the thing. They always say you can go 50 to 55 on the highway. So, I would figure it would be alot better with the 410 gears?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
3,000 to 3,500 rpm is fine with these trucks motors
They must sell motors, that's too high for long periods.

Drive your M1009 if you want to exceed 60 mph.

huggy

They must sell motors, that's too high for long periods.

Drive your M1009 if you want to exceed 60 mph.
Doghead, ya lost me! You start of with saying 3,00 to 3,500 is fine with these motors. But, then you say drive the m1009 if going 60 mph, With the 410 gear and the 31 inch tire is supposed to be running 2,800 to 3,000. Is that bad or not/ I get confused with the opinions...

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I quoted your statement(highlighted in black background) and disagreed with your statement.

I personally would recommend you keep it under 3000 rpm for any length of time.

huggy

People also always say "no long highway trips", but what is considered a long trip? 2.5 hours or 12 hours? To me 12 is long and 2.5 is short. Any help is welcome...

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I mean, for over a few minutes.

huggy

Oh, I kinda thought that you may have been doing that. I just need to put a tach on this machine, so I know exactly what the RPM is doing. Cuz, I don't want to wreck this nice truck...That is why I am searching for answers and advice, so thanks. But, I don't see where anyone has been able to tell me what RPM it would be running with the 410 gear and 31" tires! I see what it would be with the stock tire and 456 grear, that are 31's or just about the same.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have driven my M1008 for thousands of miles(20 hours straight, with fuel stops), with 2900 rpm as a maximum.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I've driven my M1008 ~2hrs at 65mph for 2hrs. However it's on HMMWV tires. I've done close to that a few times in it. Been glad to be out of it every time and I'm sure it was happy as well.

http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html is a great tool to figure out RPM.

My truck would be at 3150rpm at 70mph. Your truck would be at 3400+ RPM at 70mph. It's not going to last honestly.

FWIW, I plan on a 700R4 transmission swap even with my larger tires.

huggy

People say don't go over a certain speed with the M1009 Blazers too, but shoot, I drove one of mine home from West Virginia to Davenport Ia. with a messed up speedo. I foundout later that I was doing 100 when I thought I was doing 80 and even that didn't hurt the Blazer. And, that was a wicked long trip. I know it has different gearing, 308's but it was screeeeaming...... N it still runs like a beast now!

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
70 in an M1009 is all I would ever consider.

I doubt you were ever at 100 mph.