• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What would you do: Selecting First HMMWV ?

MrM4

So I fell into a deal that looks like I may buy my first HUMVEE.
2 trucks both solid mechanical shape from a trusted friend who bought 12 trucks and cherry picked his top 3. Now there 2 that have been offered to me very right.

Truck #1 - 2 door troop carrier, aside from a broken heat gauge is supposedly in excellent shape

Truck #2 4 door soft top all good but has a broken rear CV joint from climbing a snow bank....

WILD CARD - there’s a full, yes complete, slant back kit that’s coming with what ever truck I buy and it’s getting installed by me.

After my lifted bobbed Duece build I figure the slant back has to be easier.

The going from 2 to 4 door thing makes me wonder ? Am I going to have to buy some other crap to go to 4 door for the slant back to work?

any thoughts welcome

G3isMe

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would take truck number one. I assume you are going to need hard doors no matter which selection you make. And who knows what else is damaged other than the CV joint on number two. May need the female part of the door hinges which are relatively cheap as far as parts go in the Humvee world. You may need some roll bar parts other guys here have more knowledge about that then I. Hopefully they will let you know. You can find a lot of the smaller parts, e.g. door parts, on eBay and other on-line vendors which are waaaay less expensive than the well known dealers.

Last edited:

3jacks

Yup, you’ll need a new C pillar for the slant back and man am I jealous! New A pillar as well...but if you did the deuce work you can probably adapt something on the windshield.

Last edited:

3jacks

Money ahead on that one then...replacing half shaft is way less than $1,200. All things being equal of course. if you do get it and decide not to mess with the slant back...I am VERY interested in buying that complete kit.

MrM4

Money ahead on that one then...replacing half shaft is way less than $1,200. All things being equal of course. if you do get it and decide not to mess with the slant back...I am VERY interested in buying that complete kit.
My fear would be finding more wrong with it

3jacks

The broken half shaft...probably operator error. No BTM or just being stupid But could be indicative of other things wrong. These things can take a beating but rest assured there is always “something else” to fix. That’s part of the fun IMO. I have 2 of these and one of them decided to leave me a giant puddle of something on the floor. Haven’t checked what the fluid is yet and I just drove it from garage to barn. it’s just part of the marriage agreement. She breaks...you pay and fix. Rinse and repeat.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks