• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What would you do?

blazer85

I need some advice and/or help, please. I don't know a thing about deisels or MV in particular, and I am thinking of replacing the engine. This truck will never see the road again, and will be trailered to off road events. Would I be doing a disservice to the rig by replacing the deisel with a SBC? I know how to make a gas engine run, and I am after reliability and ease of maintenance/repairs on the trail. Thanks in advance for any tips.

Luke

Westech

CPL
well for off roading a diesel is great! No spark plugs, carburetors, ignition wires or parts to get wet or melted on a hot exhaust manifold, wont flood out when going up or down steep hills or kicked to the side. Really if you are installing a gas just because you know nothing about diesels is just crazy talk. A diesel is much ezer to work on and keep running. there is less parts! All you need for a 6.2 to make it run is one power wire to the injection pump and one to heat up the glug plugs. Im telling ya.. keep it diesel and do some homework on the engine. You can get 175 HP out of it no problem and with out any add ons 200 or more with a turbo. your going to like the diesel if you set the truck up right.

Chevytruck

well for off roading a diesel is great! No spark plugs, carburetors, ignition wires or parts to get wet or melted on a hot exhaust manifold, wont flood out when going up or down steep hills or kicked to the side. Really if you are installing a gas just because you know nothing about diesels is just crazy talk. A diesel is much ezer to work on and keep running. there is less parts! All you need for a 6.2 to make it run is one power wire to the injection pump and one to heat up the glug plugs. Im telling ya.. keep it diesel and do some homework on the engine. You can get 175 HP out of it no problem and with out any add ons 200 or more with a turbo. your going to like the diesel if you set the truck up right.
:ditto:

i agree!

motormayhem

Ya the diesel is more reliable since there are less parts (aka failure points). Fuel injection is also a big plus for the trail. You also have all the torque and power of the motor at 2000rpm rather than 4000 for a gas which is another plus for the trail. Keep it diesel. There are plenty of people here to help you when you need it.

blazer85

You sound like my dad!!! Really, this truck has been "farmer engineered", the wiring looks like a rat's nest, and I just thought an engine swap would be easier in the long run. Can't afford to turbo the thing, but what about wheel spin in the mud? The truck does run, fairly well, so maybe I'll keep it diesel. Any other suggestions?

blazer85

Ya the diesel is more reliable since there are less parts (aka failure points). Fuel injection is also a big plus for the trail. You also have all the torque and power of the motor at 2000rpm rather than 4000 for a gas which is another plus for the trail. Keep it diesel. There are plenty of people here to help you when you need it.

I appreciate all of this. I will definitely keep it in mind.:beer:

droz

although im new to diesels and the CUCV trucks and blazers i would vote to keep the diesel and just read up about them and learn about them. there seem to be alot of guys on here with alot of knowledge about the trucks and should be able to help out if any issues arise.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks