• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What would you do?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yup, make sure you are legal, then replace fluids and filters. When you start it up, make sure you can stop it if it "runs away". Post the video!

CajunM35A2

After the legal issues...

IN addition to the issues already stated that need attention, be sure to bleed the air tanks, and check the belts and hoses. Then, recheck them. I had the belts cut lose, the truck overheated, and then my radiator went ***BLAM!*** with me and my truck creating quite a spectacle about 1/2 mile from home. Thankfully an old-school radiator shop in New Orleans rodded and re-soldered the tank!

Monty

Nothing It probley won't start any way.

Let me know where it is and I'll take a look at it for you. :razz:

Seriously, If your just looking to start it to seal the deal with the seller you should drain the oil's ( engine trans and transfer)and replace the filters, replace the batteries check over the belts then drain the air tanks and fire it up.

If your looking to try to drive it then go through the brakes and check tire pressures and conditions ( cracks, chunks missing ,etc), replace the fluids in the diffs and driver home.

Good luck and keep us posted , if you do pass on it post it up here because someone is always looking for parts etc.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nothing It probley won't start any way.

Let me know where it is and I'll take a look at it for you. :razz:

If your just looking to start it to seal the deal with the seller you should drain the oil's ( engine trans and transfer)and replace the filters, replace the batteries check over the belts then drain the air tanks and fire it up.
I wouldn't even worry with all this if all I was wanting to do is see if it ran. I may change the engine oil but that would be about it to just here it run. After you find out the engine runs ok then it would be the time to go over everything else. I would just hate to spend all the time and money to change all the fuids only to find out the eingine is knocking upon startup.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found another deuce. This has been "sitting" for years. What would you do, to get it running?
"Sitting" where? Inside a barn? Out in the woods? Inside a nice garage?
If it's been out it the weather and environment, you're almost guaranteed to to have condensation in the engine, tranny, TC, axles, basically everywhere. You also may have rodent damage and nests in places that can heat up and catch fire. Not to mention wasp nests. (That would be just awesome for it too start right up, followed by a swarm of PO'd wasps.) Plus tire rot, gunk in the air and fuel tanks, brake lines and fuel lines. If the exhaust was not covered, the engine may be seized from sitting so long. Whole lot of ifs.
I'd try and see if the enging was free first. Then drain the oil to see what it's like. If not too bad put it back in. Check the fuel tank for gunk and water, no use sucking all that crap into the injectors. If that's all good, check the wiring to make sure animals haven't chewed it up. After that's all done I'd try and see if it will turn over and start. Then you can start with all the rest of the fluids, tires brakes, steering, etc. Do all the critical stuff first then move to the cosmetics. Good luck, post some pics.

rlwm211

I guess I would offer that if the price is decent, you cannot be hurt in buying it, even if it does not run. Look for obvious defects and problems, like a rod through the block, a transmission and/or transfer case falling apart, and for severe leaks anywhere. Also look for missing parts and pieces. This can be indicative of a problem that existed when the truck was parked and is also grounds for bartering the price down.

For the most part these trucks were designed to be rugged based on the simplicity of the design. That works to your advantage when you are trying to rejuvenate an old truck. Simple things do not require much to work. I have seen trucks that have been parked for 6 years start with a jump. Avoid using ether as a starting aid as far as I am concerned as it is problematic if you get too much in the engine.

In addition to the thoughts already posted, I would look at the fuel tank as well. Sitting for a long time is not good for the tank, especially if there is water in it.

If it is an old gasser you can expect to probably have to change the fuel pump or rebuild it shortly after you start it. The new gas is not very nice to the old diaphrams and seals.

I guess looking at an old deuce that has sat is no different that looking at a old car or light truck, as they were made the same way back when. Simple...

Hope this helps

RL

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The first thing I would do after obtaining the legal right to do so, would be to turn the engine over by hand to insure it's not locked up. If it's not, proceed from there.

waayfast

To just see if it will run I would suggest a 5 gal container of fresh diesel bungied to the fender and plumbed into the system.This way you don't have a bunch of time cleaning/flushing/fighting old contaminated fuel/tank/lines.And if it wont start or upon starting you find that something is really,really wrong you can stop the game at that point and take your remaining 4 gallons home with you.

As for oil I would simply pull the dipstick and if it looks reasonable go for it.Same with coolant.

Just my 2cents worth----
Jim