• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What Would You Pay?

Peterbilt387X

Alright, I just picked up the extra motor. It is a LDS 465-1A. It is not a running motor, mostly there except fan and injection pump. Should I rebuild it (from what it looks like, will cost $1000 just to rebuild) or sell it as is or maybe trade for a Whistler turbo? Thoughts?

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
LDS engines are not ultra rare, but they are desirable. Unfortunately, you know the true cost of a rebuild only after the rebuild and successful test run where nothing leaked, smoked, knocked, screeched, caught fire or grenaded. Maybe all your engine needs is a head gasket set and planed heads. Maybe it needs six pistons and liners. Who knows. It needs an injection pump and a fan (put a nylon one on, just to be different :) )
I could see a carefully rebuilt LDS, set up for straight drop in into a Deuce as opposed to a 5-ton, to be an easy sell, provided the math works out for both yourself and the buyer.

Last edited:

61sleepercab

Good luck........ Take lots of pictures for you Build Book of your ownership and modifications, painting, fixing, . Remember two sayings..... Rome was not built in a day!!! Take your time ,this truck stuff is a slow process.

Second piece of advice..... Like owning a battleship, do not start polishing the brass when you are taking on water with holes in the hull!!! Fix steering, brakes, wiring first before new fuzzy dice,and other non essential stuff. I always like a vehicle that steers and stops when I want it too , not by the tree over the hill in the turn. Mark

Peterbilt387X

Pulled the head - cylinder #1 is rusted internally. I'm about to give this thing away, I don't know if I want to go through the hassle of finding parts. It's missing nuts, bolts, etc. I'm pretty sure only the block, pushrods, valve springs, rockers, and head could be used. Maybe the turbo if you could free it up. Motor was rebuilt in 1987 w/ standard bore, etc. I think the guy who had it before used it for spare parts when he needed it. Doesn't have IP, fuel filter housing, oil filter canisters, valve covers, etc. Seems like a lot of work, which I already have plenty on my plate. I can't post in the classified section so do any of you want to buy/trade? I also have a 5spd transmission. Probably gonna scrap it otherwise. Let me know, 330-421-8834. I'm in Ohio. I can send pictures of specific items if need be.

Jeepsinker

You can replace the parts that are missing with readily available parts from an LDT motor you know. Free up the rusted cylinder with a transmission fluid soak, and don't worry about the turbo. You can't really utilize that turbo when you put the motor in a deuce anyway. What kind of transmission is it that you have? If it is a 3053 you need to keep it, chances are you will need it sooner than later.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks