• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What year is it!!!

JRBAMATEX

Got my new duce from GL it needs some work but it is still just about the coolest thing I have ever had. The latest challenge is to figure out what year it is. The government certificate to obtain the title says UNK under the field where the manufactur year should be. All I know is that it's an M35A2C. No winch/No PTO. White 465 LDT Turbo, Spicer Tranny 3053A, Spicer Transfer T136-27. That seems to be the standard gear on just about everything though. I remember that on old chevy's you used to be able to look at the tail lights and the year would be stamped in them sometimes. Is there anything like that I could use to ID the year on the duce? I need it for the new title and tags.

Thanks.

PS I'm new to this so I hope I am doing this forum thing right. Not sure about special forum etiquette.

Boatcarpenter

I'm not totally sure of this but I believe on the frame behind the drivers side front tire there should be a year of manuf. date. Probably rusty so you will have to clean it off. I'm sure someone that really knows where to look will post a reply soon.
Also, I think Deuce would be proper spelling.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine is stamped on the passenger side frame just behind the front shock mount. I have seen them on the drivers side in the same place. On the I.D. tag on the dash, Is it still there?

JRBAMATEX

This is excellent news. Thanks very much. I called on getting it registered today and it is a reasonable number so this part is going good. Looks like most of the data plates are on the dash so next time I am with the truck (Replacing rear transmission seal this weekend) I will check it out.

I'll let you guys know how the transmission repair turns out. Keeping my fingers crossed that the seal takes care of it.

Thanks again,
JR

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tell us what mfr it is. That also helps narrow it down a bit. Example, AM Generals started production in the 1971 model year.

JRBAMATEX

It is an AM General so I guess that puts it somewhere between 70' and 81' ?

All this info will be put to good use starting early Saturday AM. I can hardly wait!

JR

SixBuy

JR,
I'm in Dallas if you need any free advice! Mine is a 70 Kaiser Jeep w/w. Axles are a good place to look although a depot rebuild will reset everything. A Tooele plate on the dash is a clue... Also check the date on the engine data plate (unless it was swapped!) You kinda have to go with the preponderance of evidence.

JRBAMATEX

SixBuy said:
JR,
I'm in Dallas if you need any free advice! Mine is a 70 Kaiser Jeep w/w. Axles are a good place to look although a depot rebuild will reset everything. A Tooele plate on the dash is a clue... Also check the date on the engine data plate (unless it was swapped!) You kinda have to go with the preponderance of evidence.
Well, I agree completely on the prima facia evidence method. You know I had to have insurance on the thing in order to take it off the base in GA. So I just took a stab with the insurance guy and told him it was a 71' then when it came tag and title time I just stayed with 71' it was easy and I was out of time. Had a run to make in it the next day. There is a plate on the dash thet indicates which contract it was requisitioned under. there is a 73 right in the middle of that number I have seen other data plates on it 75' on the transfer case, 74 on the engine plate. So, I think it is a 73' But as far as the state and I are concerned. It's a 71' and a mighty fine one at that.

As soon as I get my digital camera over to the site I'll get some pictures on here.