• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What's a C turbo worth?

sidewinder770

I've been considering getting a C turbo to play around with on my duece- not sure I will like the sound or not. I've seen a few for sale locally but have no idea what kind of price they are selling for these days. Obviously condition has a lot to do with it but what an average price for one that is in decent condition (not much freeplay and doesn't leak) but hasn't been rebuilt? How about if it's been rebuilt?

Thanks all!

goodwithwood35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been considering getting a C turbo to play around with on my duece- not sure I will like the sound or not. I've seen a few for sale locally but have no idea what kind of price they are selling for these days. Obviously condition has a lot to do with it but what an average price for one that is in decent condition (not much freeplay and doesn't leak) but hasn't been rebuilt? How about if it's been rebuilt?

Thanks all!
NOS about $800.

Used about $400-500 In good shape. They’re pricey.

Depends what you’re going for, sound you get a C. More potential HP you go D.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sidewinder770

Well my FDC was already bypassed by the depot. I have boost and EGT waiting to go in now. I figured I would pull the turbo to tap the hole for the EGT and might try a C turbo at the same time since it's out (have a D now). For boost I'll probably just use the hole that is already there for the ether injection. Once I get a baseline I can adjust fuel and droop as needed but din't want to mess with that until I got the pyro gauge installed. I assume the depot is running everything at a very conservative level but will be sure before proceeding. From what I've read there isn't much difference in HP from a C to D- basically just the sound.

goodwithwood35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well my FDC was already bypassed by the depot. I have boost and EGT waiting to go in now. I figured I would pull the turbo to tap the hole for the EGT and might try a C turbo at the same time since it's out (have a D now). For boost I'll probably just use the hole that is already there for the ether injection. Once I get a baseline I can adjust fuel and droop as needed but din't want to mess with that until I got the pyro gauge installed. I assume the depot is running everything at a very conservative level but will be sure before proceeding. From what I've read there isn't much difference in HP from a C to D- basically just the sound.
I wouldn’t adjust droop unless it has issues starting. Even then I’d look at other things that could be causing that first. Adjust the fuel and smoke cam. D turbo will make more power if you adjust the fuel and smoke cam, like you said after pyro and boost gauge installed. You don’t need to remove the turbo if you still and tap the hole while the truck is running, but obviously the better thing to do is to remove it, blow out the hole and shop vac the manifold during doing that.

Unless you really want the sound, don’t swap turbos. A D will outperform the C it’s a more efficient design and will flow more air. Not that the LDT is much of a powerhouse or anything. Adjusting the fuel will really bring the D turbo to life. More fuel equals more air flow equals more power. The C can only go so far.

There’s a few videos on YouTube how to adjust fuel settings. Check out the one by member Jeepsinker (aka Garrett). His channel is called Tactical Repair. Lots of good stuff, I’ve learned a lot from him. Subscribe to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
LDS465-1A.jpg Another option if you are looking for more power is the turbocharger from the LDS465-1A used in 5 ton trucks. It has more boost. 2cents

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your better off with a D turbo and if you really really think you need the sound of the C trust me in saying they sound totally cool for about an hour and a half! Stay with the D
KK

sandcobra164

I'm not sure on current pricing. When I had my Deuce with a D turbo, I wanted a C that would sing it's song! I got one shipped to me for the low price of pulling a M817 from the local base and storing it for some time. Removing my D turbo was not fun as the exhaust manifold nuts did not want to let go. I learned a neat trick of heating up the studs and drawing candle wax into the threads. Anyhow, beyond that I learned that the truck drove exactly the same with the C turbo in my use. It just sounded cooler. Some people or many will say that the D turbo is better suited for making more power. They are absolutely correct if we take a deep dive into turbocharger efficiency from an engineering standpoint as some people have in other threads. My truck ran just fine with the change, pulled an 18,000 pound towed load with no problem and is now serving duty on a farm pulling peanut trailers. I sold it and crossed over to the dark side of NHC-250 Cummins ownership.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks