• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What's a good MEP-005 worth these days?

MarcusOReallyus

I was helping my BIL pick up a vehicle at a local salvage yard that's going out of business. This is near Mojave, California. (For those of you from Rio Linda, that's pronounced, "mo HAH vee".)

Spotted this gem and got to talking to the owner. He's unloading everything, but has no clue what this is worth on the open market. Thought I'd try to get him a ballpark. I have no financial interest in this myself.

I didn't open any doors, but it seems to be in pretty good shape. Tires still have the nubs on them. Take a look:

20210417_110735.jpg

20210417_110819.jpg
20210417_110815.jpg

20210417_110811.jpg
20210417_110751.jpg20210417_110744.jpg

20210417_110843.jpg20210417_110846.jpg20210417_110856.jpg

Attachments

Chainbreaker

I know you only asked for a "Ball Park" valuation. It's hard to say what that particular unit might be worth without knowing more: Has it, or would it, pass a load test and internal under the doors visual inspection? What are actual Hobbs meter hours?

One odd thing is that it doesn't have its original OEM data plate and was replaced with apparently a blank one with someone hand punching the serial number & hand inscribed the MFG's name on the placard. There may be a good reason for that but its not an OEM dataplate as it left factory. It has been Reset which is OK, but its probably not a low hours machine.

The Trailer could be newer than the Generator. Nubs on tires don't mean much to me, as its the tire's age that counts. Around here a tire shop won't mount a tire older than 8 years. I don't know if these "Military" stamped tires have a "DOT Code" on the sidewall but that would be good to know for aging purposes of at least the tires.

There's the "Local area market", "Nationwide market", "Global Market" and "Parting out Value" and they all differ given local demands for that kW range of generator.

There is currently one showing up at "Surplus Military Depot" w/o trailer for $4500 that says load tested. But it hasn't been sold at that price. There was recently a trailer mounted one on GovPlanet located in Utah with 65 hours on meter that had a winning bid of $5,100.

There's the old saying as to what something is worth: "Its worth what a buyer will pay for it and what the seller will accept."

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
The data plate was probably changed at RESET. If you can get this gentleman to open the doors and take pictures, that would help. Unless someone has raped it for parts, this could/should be, a very nice, clean and dependable gen set. Right now seems to be a greater then normal amount of parts for the MEP-004A and MEP-005A, available in the big auction site.

Chainbreaker

If you pass, please let me know the info on it. I'm interested in one like it.

DG
The OP said he had no financial interest in it and was just trying to help the guy with a ballpark asking price figure.

Since its relatively close to you you should PM the OP to get contact info of the seller if you want to pursue it.

Ray70

God, if it wasn't on the other side of the states I'd be interested too! I need another 005 to work on for fun!
As for price it is totally dependent on condition. It looks to be a nice machine from the outside but don't know about hours, running condition IP condition etc.
They sell at the auction in unknown condition for $1500 - $3500 and seem to retail in "repairable" condition for $2500- $4000.
They retail in real nice, low hour, tested, serviced ready to go condition for $5500 - $7000
They are really nice, durable machines, but beware if it has been sitting, there is a good chance the IP will need attention.

Chainbreaker

God, if it wasn't on the other side of the states I'd be interested too! I need another 005 to work on for fun!
C'mon Ray, you and your talented 11 year old son need a road trip out West! On your way out West you could give your son a scenic & educational road trip of a lifetime. Depending on your route, you could visit either Mt. Rushmore, the Grand Canyon, Rocky Mtn National park, Yellowstone Park, etc. and various tourist traps along the way.

He would go on later in life to tell his grand kids about that trip!

Ray70

Not a bad idea! I've never driven cross country ( and never will with my current truck ) ;) But it would be a memorable experience.
He has come with me on quite a few gen. recoveries but only as far away as Chambersburg PA. and FT Drum in NY.

This past weekend's project was spreading 60yds of gravel and building about 100 LF of boulder retaining wall... He spend about 2 days straight in my brother's mini excavator with the AC and radio on operating the machine while I was out in the heat operating a hand shovel and picking up sticks and crap.
See anything wrong with that picture?? I know my back did! But he enjoyed every minute of it!

Guyfang

Staff member
C'mon Ray, you and your talented 11 year old son need a road trip out West! On your way out West you could give your son a scenic & educational road trip of a lifetime. Depending on your route, you could visit either Mt. Rushmore, the Grand Canyon, Rocky Mtn National park, Yellowstone Park, etc. and various tourist traps along the way.

He would go on later in life to tell his grand kids about that trip!
You know, this is a fine idea. This is what I did when I graduated High School, in 1972. Hitchhiked around the States, for 12 thousand miles. And all the above listed places were in my way. I still dream of that trip. The nice part of Rushmore was that my Aunt lived about 15-20 min drive from the Rushmore parking lot. I will warn you. Once you visit the Black Hills, you leave a little bit of your heart there. If I am lucky, my ashes will be spread out just off Reno Gulch Road, Hill City SD, behind my Aunts house. Just like my Fathers.

Chainbreaker

Not a bad idea! I've never driven cross country ( and never will with my current truck ) ;) But it would be a memorable experience.
He has come with me on quite a few gen. recoveries but only as far away as Chambersburg PA. and FT Drum in NY.

Truck not long-haul road worthy... no problemo! Do as Guy did..."hitch hike" your way out West! Could be a competition between you & your son as to who is most successful getting rides. ;) Then rent a suitable truck one-way back to RI to pull the beast home. If your lucky you might have your son back before school starts up again.:unsure:

Now that would be "the story of a lifetime" for both of you to tell! :LOL:

Ray70

You've kind of got me thinking.... My truck is getting a bit tired ( 230K on an 08 F250 5.4L with cracked exhaust manifold and recent transmission shudder ) and I wouldn't feel comfortable driving cross country.
I also have an uncle in Oregon ( mother's brother ) who I haven't seen since I was probably 10 or 11.
Kids are done with school in like 6 weeks.... maybe....fly somewhere out west, Buy a western ( Not Rust belt N.E ) pickup, head to CA and get the 005, then to OR to visit uncle and drive back to RI??
It's kind of ironic this situation came up, I had a dream about a week ago that I was in a truck and my son was driving.... although he rear ended a car in my dream.... so I guess letting him drive some is out of the question!

(y)Something tells me hitch hiking cross country was slightly safer back in 72' than it is today..

Guyfang

Staff member
You know, I never had a bad situation back then. Not one. In fact, I had nothing but great memories. People were soooooooooooooooooooooo nice to me. To this day, I rarely pass a hitcher. Sometimes the radar says NO! And I dont stop. But mostly I do. When you been there, and done that, .....................................................

If I could have written longer the other night, I would have wrote about how my brother and I took a road trip with my Dad, right after my parents were divorsed. I was 12, my brother was 10. We loaded up in the El Camino, and drove Chainbreakers dream trip. We even got to see 5 tornado spouts at one time in Nebraska. Pucker power! Yeah, you should give it serious thought. I missed doing that with my youngest. But my oldest, we spent some time behind the wheel. He had just got his licence, and school was out. I was driving all over Germany fixing things. 500-600 klicks a day, AND working. He drove me every day for 3 months. Up at 04:30, home at 18:00 or sometimes MUCH later. It was good.

Stinson

You know, I never had a bad situation back then. Not one. In fact, I had nothing but great memories. People were soooooooooooooooooooooo nice to me. To this day, I rarely pass a hitcher. Sometimes the radar says NO! And I dont stop. But mostly I do. When you been there, and done that, .....................................................

If I could have written longer the other night, I would have wrote about how my brother and I took a road trip with my Dad, right after my parents were divorsed. I was 12, my brother was 10. We loaded up in the El Camino, and drove Chainbreakers dream trip. We even got to see 5 tornado spouts at one time in Nebraska. Pucker power! Yeah, you should give it serious thought. I missed doing that with my youngest. But my oldest, we spent some time behind the wheel. He had just got his licence, and school was out. I was driving all over Germany fixing things. 500-600 klicks a day, AND working. He drove me every day for 3 months. Up at 04:30, home at 18:00 or sometimes MUCH later. It was good.
My gut tells me you are a good guy!
Cheers

Chainbreaker

You've kind of got me thinking.....fly somewhere out west, Buy a western ( Not Rust belt N.E ) pickup, head to CA and get the 005, then to OR to visit uncle and drive back to RI??
Here's a thought... do searches for good used trucks in places like Nevada, Arizona, California since generator is situated in Mojave, CA. If your a gambling man & were to locate a truck near Las Vegas you might find reasonable flights into Vegas. Spend a night there and if luck is with you, you just might win some generator/truck funding! :cool: However, if you do it wrong...you could end up hitch hiking (y)your way back to RI! :oops:

Assuming sanity prevails, buy the truck and make the run to Mojave & pick up the -005 beast and the road trip fun begins! What city in Oregon is your uncle located?

The only glitch right now, might be finding the right truck. Currently there are "new vehicle" inventory shortages and I think that's driving up used prices somewhat. So prices could be higher than usual and the "good used truck" supply might be limited.

But who knows... You could find the perfect truck, hit a jackpot in Vegas, reestablish relations with your distant uncle & therefore you & your son eventually end up in his will. Furthermore, due to the "For Sale" sign you post on back of generator while towing, someone offers you $10k for the generator "as is" at a Rest Stop/Gas Station during your coast-to-coast road trip back home! How's that for a great "2021 Road Trip" positive ending! ;)

Ray70

Good thinking, and I have been contemplating a similar situation.
I work for a company in RI that designs Lottery equipment.
We purchased a company in Reno NV several years ago, that builds Gaming equipment and now builds some of our Lottery terminals.
Prior to Covid... I used to fly to Reno several times a year for new builds, production problems etc. etc.
I will probably begin going back that was soon once the Covid restrictions ease up, so.....
On one of my next business trips to Reno I could fly out on the company's dime, buy a truck and the company will pay me $.56 a mile to drive it home!
My boss ( who is in Reno ) is very easy going and is always willing to let me work some family vacation into my work travels!

AND... I quite often would get questions from folks at gas stations when hauling gens back from PA. just imagine how many more times I would need to stop going cross country... The For Sale sign is a great idea!

I think this may really be a feasible idea... maybe not this particular 005, but for a Rust free truck and trip to Mojave for another purchase at least!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks