• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What's high mileage for a M915A1

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The M915 is just a military version of a civilian road tractor.

Most of the M915's were assigned to transportation units that actually had a hauling mission.

A lot of these units were National Guard and Reserve units.....they only drove their trucks one weekend a month and during two week annual training operations. A lot of the low milage trucks you see on the surplus markets now are from these units.....they are the last units to get new equipment.

The 400 Cummins engines are good for 500,000 miles at least if they are not abused and maintained as per the military maintenence schedules.

Very few military M915's ever accrued that kind of high milage unless they were deployed to a theater of operation.

One issue with these vehicles is the long periods of storage without being cranked and moved. This causes a lot of problems with seals and air systems.

jatonka

I have a 915A1 with 147,000 miles, that's just broke in........ My Freightliner w/ N14 Cummins has 1.16 million miles and still runs out perfect. Expect the 915A1 can do the same, it better or I'll backfill it. JT

The M915A1 I won in Topeka has 137,9xx miles on her. Some of the other trucks that sold there had a little over 200,000 showing. I looked at one that sold on GL recently that only had 258 miles showing (it had been reconditioned in mid 2007) that was a sharp truck!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's something to remember on all our trucks - just because the odometer says XX,XXX miles, doesn't mean that's in toto. Sometimes when the truck is rebuilt the odometer gets changed as well, so the clock starts from zero again. Granted, getting a lower odo number is good, but doesn't tell the whole story.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks