• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What's it worth?

msisco

Hi All,

I just picked up this truck and was wondering if I did good or not. It's a 1954' M54 Cargo Multifuel. There is a sticker on the bed that says SARF Saudi Arabia Redistribution Facility. I am would like to learn more about this truck and since it's a good running 1954 I think it probably has some history. Any know about SARF? Any guesses as to what this truck could be worth in decent running condition?

Thanks,
Mike

Attachments

M1075

Hi All,

I just picked up this truck and was wondering if I did good or not. It's a 1954' M54 Cargo Multifuel. There is a sticker on the bed that says SARF Saudi Arabia Redistribution Facility. I am would like to learn more about this truck and since it's a good running 1954 I think it probably has some history. Any know about SARF? Any guesses as to what this truck could be worth in decent running condition?

Thanks,
Mike
Well how much did you pay for it?

msisco

I picked it up for 3K. Has spare heads, steering gear box, extra cargo bedsides/seats. All in all everthing works except the fuel gage.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It would be a perfect candidate for a gun truck! I once had an M54A2C (which is what yours in configured like). If I were to own a 5 ton again (but I won't) it would be what you have right there.

msisco

I guess it has a newer tranny in it from what I was told. The 4th and 5th gear positions are swicted so the shift pattern does not match the illustration on the dash. Does this sound right? What might this tranny be if 4th and 5th gears are switched?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It may have an OD tranny
Yup, sounds like a 3053A tranny. I'm liking this truck more and more. Whoever built it, had their thinking cap on. BTW, since this is an old gasser, that 413 could have been there for a couple of decades.

area52

If 5th gear is on the top right hand side, then its an OD transmission, the correct one for a multi fuel engine.

Thats a real nice truck, congrats.

msisco

Recovry4x4- I bought the truck from someone that owned a storage facilty and had obtained the truck via lien. The truck was owned by a guy that collected and sold rare vehicles. I am not sure if the guy restored and upgraded it privately but that is the feeling I am getting. It seems pretty orginal except the tranny, newer bed and some other misc small parts that seem new. I also like the fact it has been registered in California and has historic plates already. Not I just need AAA to insure it! You say "old gasser" Is that the same as a multifuel? Not to sound like an idiot but I am pretty sure it's the multi fueld. I will get the numbers off the engine to try to figure it out. I have the truck now I guess I just need some big guns for my gun truck! Anyone?? Is the 3053A tranny much better than what it came with stock? What was the 3053A originally out of?

M10575- Are the old stock 1954's M54's worth more or less thant the newer rebuilds? Does it have historic vaule if I rebuild it to it's orignal config?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oooooooops, my mind was on another post when I posted. Disregard the 413 and 3053A crap, that was from another deuce. Your M54 came from the factory with the R6602 gasser engine. It was most likely depot overhauled with the multifuel. What does the data plate say? Factory made multifuelers didn't start production until the 60s. Probably has the 6453 tranny if it has OD. Most of the multifuel trucks had a direct drive 6352 tranny. When you can, post pics of the data plates.

msisco

I is a five speed but the 4th and 5th gear positions on the shift are reverse of the dash tag shift pattern. I can see a date of 6-17-67 on the transfer case. The other numbers/letters are hard to read.

Anyone heard of SARF?

Attachments

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
SARF was part of USAG-F U.S. Army Support Group Forward, they cleaned and painted, rebuilt and refurbished MV's and gear during ODS & after Desert Storm at Ad Dammam and Al Jubayl Saudi Arabia. They jacked-up a lot of folks by painting Mil-spec CARC with paper masks.

area52

If you could as a favor to me, please take a few pictures of the engine compartment drivers side firewall? I have a M54A2 also and my wiring is a little messed up in that area.

Thanks

msisco

AREA52- I will take more pictures of the engine compartment this weekend when I am back there working on the truck.

Monkeyboyarmy- I saw the missing bolt and the one next to it that was really loose. These are some of the reasons I didn't drive it the two hours home when I picked it up. My friend let me keep it at his place in the desert so I can work on it. Thank you though for pointing that out.

msisco

Can anyone tell me about my truck off the data plates? Any history or upgrades it should have.

The truck is 2 hours away from me so I don't have the ability to check it out other than the pictures I have. I am guessing that it was upgraded to the LDT-465-1C. It has the loud turbo whistle. So I understand that was an upgraded engine from the gasser it came with? The trans has the 4th and 5th gear postion in reverse of the dash tag. So 5th in in the upper right postion and 4th is in the bottom right postion. What trans would this be?

Anyone know what I have?

Thank You!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks