• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What's that odd light

mbavers

M1008. While modifying the front grill in order to reroute hoses for my external transmission cooler I removed what at first looked like a horn. Inside is nothing but a standard auto light bulb. Very well made, with its own grounding wire. The hood of the cover has one small slit to emit a small amount of light. What in heck could this be for??yiuyioh.jpg

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M1008. While modifying the front grill in order to reroute hoses for my external transmission cooler I removed what at first looked like a horn. Inside is nothing but a standard auto light bulb. Very well made, with its own grounding wire. The hood of the cover has one small slit to emit a small amount of light. What in heck could this be for??View attachment 922026
Looks to be in great shape! Most of mine the bulb socket was rusted out. It's purpose is the front headlight when you're using the blackout lights. It's gotta be extremely cloudy and dark out to see it without nods...but with a basic pv7 its ok light. You may have 2 in each bumper as well if they haven't been removed.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
US military blackout lighting systems were engineered for use in night combat convoy ops.

The BO drive headlamp was always on the driver's side, and painted a small light pattern so the driver could see the road edge, and blackout markers were on each corner, front and rear.

The rear markers were also known as 'cat-eye' lights, as the two red slits would turn into a red triangle if too close.

cucvrus

On the CUCV and other military vehicles there are 4 red slots of LED light and a single amber slit that lights in the middle when the brakes are applied. Up front each BO lamp on the bumper has 2 amber slits of light. Good Luck with the project.

Last edited:

byrdman1312

Game wardens all over the US call these "sneak lights." If you're going to use one of these, it's nice to have a big winch on the front of your truck. Because it's a matter of time when you lose a little concentration and wind up in a ditch. We were forbidden to use these on public roads for fear someone would rear end you. Of course we always followed the rules. The objective was you could see someone shining a spot light and turn off your BO light before they saw you. The darker the night the better you could see. If the moon was full, you didn't need it.
Of course, NVGs work better but have some limitations if you're trying to drive. If you're in a boat, there's nothing better! It was always a thrill to slide up next to a boat and watch the looks on their faces when they were sure they were the only ones out there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks