• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What's the best multimeter to have in the toolbox

Rmtaunton

Another vote for fluke mine must be 20 years old but at same time my 30 dollar klien , reads the exact same I.e. , o love my fluke but if it ever died I wouldn't pay 400 for another .

glassk

I ran the calibration lab on 2 seperate aircraft carriers, and I can promise you that if you know how to use it, the simpson 260 is more accurate than the Fluke 77 every day of the week.

That being said 99% of the time the fluke gets used due to simplicity and ruggedness. Unless you are needing to read and see a wave form or a change in current, the fluke is the way to go.
I don't have a 77,

renodogs

How many guys even know what Ohms per Volt is? :)
If you have your hands on a meter, you'd better know what that is. Otherwise, you're Homer Simpson just looking at the pretty numbers.

And yes, a digital volt meter is handy. No doubt, when dealing with quick and dirty measurements, or doing precise micro-volt tests, they are a life saver. But a Simpson 260 can react to an analog signal where a DVM cannot. There are certain applications that nothing else will do for the given task. Like I said before, rapidly rotating machinery with reluctance head pickup for example- a DVM is a piece of garbage.

I happen to use both a DVM and the old school meters- neither are perfect, together, they get the job done. Many pieces of business equipment such as bank sorting machines use a ton of analog. DVM's can't hold a candle to an old Simpson or a Triplett.

Working on an old linear power supply with a noisy cap? Whip out the Simpson.

Working on the main board of a CPU? The DVM wins hands down.

renodogs

Fluke 77 and Simpson 260 keep the F-18, EA6B, E2C and all other navy aircraft flying, bombing, and jamming!
Yup. My stuff was every piece of man packed or vehicle borne comm gear the Marines had. Generator stuff too. For me, working on stuff built in the Korean and Vietnam War eras will keep you on your toes. Nonetheless, electronics is all the same once you get past the outside frame. It's just a matter of size and purpose after that.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks