• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

whats the best rout for parts

jjramrod

i got my self a hmmwv last summer and as soon as it gets warm i want to get it all fixed up and done for my daily driver im putting a 4bt cummings with a 700r tranny in it so im set drivetrain wise but i need most everything body and interior wise besides the main body hood and tailgate its pretty stripped so i was just wondering if i could get any suggestions on where to get the rest of the parts from like a hmmwv junkyard or something thanks

DSO_351

Since the scrap contract rules have changed there are not many junk yards left. Some parts are common to the civilian H1, and available thru the dealership. Military vehicle swap meets, MVPA national convention, ebay, online vendors, and message boards are your best bet.

greg burns

Parts for sale

On their website, idahomotorpool.com is indicating that they have a number of parts for sale. There are no specifics about prices.

greg

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I have seen HUMMVEE parts go out through GL....my guess is that dealers are paying premium prices and snagging them for resale.

I met some folks at the the 2009 MVPA convention that had HUMVEEs...one of them is a member here.....maybe he will chime in and help you out.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
That sounds like a good project. I am gathering parts for a 4BT swap too. I hope you are having that 700R4 beefed up since the torque of the Cummins will really test that tranny's muster. A 4L80E would be a better mate, but then you're dealing with a PCM. I am going to run the TH400 until it melts and then probably swap in an Allison 1000. Ebay is a very good source for Humvee parts. Austin aka Beltfed has a ton of stuff on there and is a good guy to deal with. On the commercial side, I have had good luck with Clark Truck here in WV.

jjramrod

sorry about the delay been pretty buisy lately lets see i need seats hard doors and latches a hardtop a windshield frame and glass with wiper motor arms and wipers a heater blower air filter assembly heater core a rear bumper fuel filler neck and im shure theres more im forgetting and on the subject of drivetrain im allready running the 4bt with a 700r tranny in the truck im driving now and it will burn those 36 military tires right off and i can go right up the steepest hills at 65 without even trying its actually the best automatic setup ive ever owned

Tanner

That sounds like a good project. I am gathering parts for a 4BT swap too. I hope you are having that 700R4 beefed up since the torque of the Cummins will really test that tranny's muster. A 4L80E would be a better mate, but then you're dealing with a PCM. I am going to run the TH400 until it melts and then probably swap in an Allison 1000. Ebay is a very good source for Humvee parts. Austin aka Beltfed has a ton of stuff on there and is a good guy to deal with. On the commercial side, I have had good luck with Clark Truck here in WV.

Umm, Chris... you DO realize that the Allison 1000/2000 series transmissions are computer-controlled, right?

'Tanner'

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Tanner, yes, I realize that the Allison 1000 uses a PCM and the aftermarket stand-alone units are $$$. I was just saying that a 4L80E does use a PCM where the 700R4 does not.

jjramrod, sounds like you have thoroughly tested your 4bt/700R4 combo already. I am hoping for around 325/600 with my modded 4bt so I will be beefing the drive-train all the way down the food chain eventually (ie- diffs, hubs, cv's, tranny, t-case). Keep us posted!

Tanner

FWIW - you can get a manual valve body setup for the 4L80E to convert it to manual shift... you have to upshift on most conversion kits.

'Tanner'

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got an extra fuel filler neck NOS. How about a pic of the truck? As far as parts are concerned if you can' find it anywhere else Kascar will have it . www.real4wd.com

With all the stuff your missing and wanting be prepared to spend some cash.

Tanner

KASCAR will sell you the civvy equivalent parts, but will not sell you 'military parts'.

We tried to get a 6.5 water pump for a HMMWV 8-9 years ago; they would not sell to us... the water pump on a HMMWV 6.5 had a cast portion ground off in order to clear a bracket; civvy GM 6.5 pumps had this raised portion on pump & wouldn't clear the bracket. Shop tech ground the casting and the bracket to 'make the GM civvy water pump fit'...

'Tanner'

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have had that experience with Kascar also but as of late have bought several mil items from them They also sale a lot of mil items on ebay, They even have a body listed there.

3dAngus

Has anyone ever read any reports of how many HMMWV's actually got out into civilian hands before they stopped selling to the public?

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
between the 2 auctions there were about 650 trucks sold several were shipped over seas by exporters. I would say approx. 500 are rolling around in the US. I was at the auction in Atlanta. It was a sight to see all those HMMWVs lined up. I have the original list and what each truck sold for. I'm glad I got one.

The auctions were held at Riverside CAli and Atlanta Ga.

Last edited:

3dAngus

I would love to just see that list.

So what year did this occur in? Do you have reason to believe this was the only two auctions ever for the HMMWV? Seems like there is going to be a lot more parts for the HMMWV then there are vehicles to buy them up. Parts prices should remain flat or go down, but my reasoning rarely seems to work out the way I planned. Ha!

BTW, I saw that auction. He says 6.2 litre, but there is not one in the compartment.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well i know these are the only auctions to ever occur where HMMWVs were sold complete with form 97s in any significant numbers. It happend in 1999. It was a very big deal and well documented. Way before the days of goverment liquidation.

The marine corp traded the trucks for electronic equipment. With the trade they got around the whole DRMO system. The trucks were then sold at auction by the electronics company (United Defense) Yes there have been a few let out other than these 2 auctions but 99% came from there. They were sold as off road use only but I don't know anyone who had trouble getting them registered at the time.

Am General went nuts. They requested all state DMVs to not register the trucks. Even sent out letters to all DMVs stating so. These loop holes have been closed and thats why you never see surplus HMMWVs for sale

i have been involved with surplus HMMWVs ever since then.

What auction are you reffering to about the 6.2?

3dAngus

Great historical info. Thanks. I still want to see your HMMWV. Maybe in a couple of weeks I'll give you a call and see if we can set it up.

I was referring to the body you mentioned being available on ebay. No engine inside, but he said a 6.2 litre was not a runner and no radiator and fan assy. So I interpret that to mean he is going to give a crate motor, well used, probably defunct, along with it. They're a dime a dozen now days, but, that might be a different motor. Maybe the HMWWV is aluminum. You would know much better than I, for sure. So what is your interpretation? And do you think he might be giving away a CUCV motor with it or something?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks