• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

whats the best way to buy a CUCV?

my86m1009

There are alot of " Flippers " on craigslist that just drag them home and sell them , just like they got them from GL. I belive there has been a few members hear that have purchessed from motorsource and been happy . It all gets down to get what you expect " inspect" .
I'm not saying you won't find a nice one, i'm just giving my personal experience, if you arent in a hurry, give a few months on craigslist looking, i got lucky with mine, you may get lucky also. Motorsource treats you like your just a tire kicker, i just didnt have a good experience, others may have. Just my opinion

my86m1009

I'm not trying to put a bad name to myself, i'm just trying to help others out by my opinion, just keep looking, it will pay off. I went there 5 times and each time they brought another POS back to there dealer.

michigan4x4

Bringing one back from the dead. DO NOT BUY from Motorsource. I personally had a very bad experience with them. All they really do is buy cheap M1009, M1008 and Deuces from GL, bring them to their shop and clean them up and mark them up double.

Take it from me. I bought a M1009 from a salesman named Jeff over at motorsouce last August. In the photos on their site, the truck looked mint. I was concerned with rust holes and soft spots. Jeff Assured me that there were no rust holes or soft spots as most of their vehicles come from the Southwest US. Based on the photos, their explanation on the website, and speaking with Jeff several times, I sent them a $500.00 non-refundable deposit to hold the M1009 for pickup.

1 week later I drove 5 hours to chicago and arrived in the pouring rain at 8am. Jeff was late, he didnt even offer me a garage to inspect the vehicle in. I looked in over while getting soaked only to find that the driver rocker had been repaired with body filler, holes in the floor were plugged with a rubber/caulk like material and painted over, the drivers door window regulator was all messed up and wouldn't allow the window to close beyond half way. The passenger side rocker was rotted through at the weather strip, the top of the rear tail gate was rotted through, the passenger side inner fender was rotted through.... "I" discovered all of this in the pouring rain and when I finally got the vehicle back home. None of the above was ever disclosed to me over the phone.

When I told Jeff that I was unsatisfied and there were in fact rust holes in the truck he first looked at me like I was lying, and then refused to even go out in the rain to look at the holes. He knocked $100.00 off the price of the already over priced truck!! After a 5 hour drive 1 way and a $500 non-refundable deposit, I was kinda stuck. He knew it and I knew it too....

For all you guys looking for a CUCV, look elsewhere. These guys use sloppy body filler, black putty, tin patches with sheet metal screws, brown duct tape to cover up holes in seats, and a Whole lot of spray paint and tire shine to make their vehicles look great. You could by a m1009 from Nellis or another western depot covered with sand for $2500, bring it home, spend two hours cleaning it and it would look exactly like the ones at Motorsouce with a $4250.00 non-negotiable price tag.

I will NEVER buy anything else from Motorsource Inc. AND, any chance that I get, I will tell others of my experience. They clean and flip GL vehicles, use sloppy methods to "hide" issues and damages, and market the vehicles as "rust free" "almost new", "completely refurbished" etc.

Stay away!!

trukhead

There is no best way to buy a CUCV or any other vehicle for that matter.
I bought a running CUCV from a fellow that had bought it from the county.
It needed a:lift pump removal of the aftermarket fuel hoses, rinstallation of the filter base, a cab and body swap, corrections to the "roscoman 12 v conversion and the glow plug circuit to be diagnosed.
I bought a CUCV from GL with the dash out of it but near cherry body and 90,000 mi.
I bought a m1028 with the air cleaner off of it and only the caliper holding the front wheel on. The bearings and retainer had rotated off and had never been reinstalled in spite of 5 military wheel alignments to correct the tire scrub. This truck has 32,000 miles on it. I have not attempted to start it yet until I determine there are no nuts and bolts down the intake.
I bought 3 residue trucks for the spare parts I will need, they have between 20-40,000miles and 2 cherry bodies and one rusty crusty. We will attempt to run them soon to determine the condition of the engines and transmissions.
Now TA -da to the point.
I bought 4 more CUCVs from GL, 2 stated as "running" and 2 tow in's.
1 of the "running" trucks has a starting issue as well as 1 of the tow in's.
The other tow-on, with the installation of 2 new batteries starts and runs so sweet you'd think it came right off the line.

The 4 above mentioned run so nice you'd think you was listenen to kittens Purring on mama at dinner time aside from the 2 with the starting issue.
So I would say buy a CUCV that you can drive and check out.
If you buy from GL, Plan on towing them off and attempting to start them on your terms.

NEVER use ether to start the CUCV s or any other Diesel with glow plugs.
I use Penetro 90 to start recalcitrant diesel engines. And start with fresh batteries, or just go and buy the new batteries and make it easy on yourself. Half used up batteries and CUCV s don't mix well.

If you are going to take a chance on GL ask your self: ...do ya feel lucky...?, make use of resources such as previewing the item, having some one knowledgeable preview and ask GL reps.

Attachments

sheriff443

RUN from Alfa heaven!!

Alfa heaven in WI has good units and the same with classic mustangs out of Colorado.
Alfa heaven sells vehicles that look nice and pretty..."just serviced" overall, transmission, engine, brakes, etc. Only $11,000. When mine was delivered, it was raining. It sat for 2 days. I tried to start it, not happening. Tom, the owner had stated that this M1008 had a new fuel sending unit and gasket installed. To make a long story short, when the HD diesel mechanic dropped the tank, he found it to be 3/4 fuel and 1/4 water. The gasket was pinched about 1/3 of the way around and had allowed the storms (2 days) to go down the back of the cab into the fuel tank...Need I say more? Call me if you have any questions:706.970.9689