• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What's the big deal about making a recovery?

ABN173

What's the big deal about making a recovery? (jk)

I just went cranked my new M1008 and drove it home.............

ALL 2.6 Miles of it that is! I don't know if that sets a new record or anything but here it is.

I spent all of today cleaning her up, I pulled the seat because at some point a window was broken out and I had all those tiny glass pieces under the seat.

* oh btw the seat is a real pain to remove, especially the one bolt on the rear driver's side, I had to cut down a wrench just to have room to turn it. (no a socket drive would not work)

-Dale

Attachments

Last edited:

LanceRobson

Wowsies! I haven't seen a floor pad in a CUCV in 15 years. That's a sharp truck.

You live in one of my favorite parts of America. I fell in love with the Peugot Sound area when I was stationed at Ft. Lewis in the mid '70s.

Lance

ABN173

how does it drive!? :-D
Very well, in fact it runs great! the only two minor things I can find wrong:
1. The fuel gauge is inop (I think its grounded out)
2. Indicator for the shifter does not work

Everything else is top notch, new batteries, tires, belts etc....

Last edited:

kc5mzd

I got 3 M35a2's that were 7.5 miles away. I drove all 3 home. One didnt have any brakes - not even a parking brake.

ABN173

Had to drive 132 miles to the last recovery...
PB it's not my fault they ship everything to Redstone. When I was at Benning I kept hoping they would auction some good vehicles, when I finally did see some they were in worse than scrap condition. I was told that had not seen any cucv's here at Lewis in some time so I guess I was lucky!

Dale

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, 2.6 miles! Were you sweating bullets, worried about breaking down? Did you plan this for days in advance, and take a truckload of spare parts? Did you have a backup plan? How long did the whole recovery take you?:razz:

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You ask "What's the big deal about making a recovery?" Well, it's the thrill of going to the parts store and buying countless items you may or may not need, for a massive amount of money you probably don't have, just so you can spend a day or more that you shouldn't have taken off of work to drive who knows how many miles to pick up something that may or may not be the one in the picture on GL, not to mention may or may not run, and will suck the rest of the money you don't have, right out of your wallet!
That's allright, we all need someting to keep us out of trouble! :-D

Nice looking truck!!!!

datsunaholic

Nice CUCV. I haven't seen seats that clean in awhile. And yes, that's the first time Ft Lewis had CUCVs in any quantity in a long time (sometimes ones/twos of cannibalized stuff). I know I bid on that truck, but the prices have more than doubled which is well out of my range.

Sounds like my Ft Lewis recovery. Except I'm more like 7 miles away since I took the no-highway route in. And I had to have a jump, but they're more than willing to help out that way.

My "spare parts" loadout was a 5 gal can of diesel. Which I couldn't have put in even if I tried, as the tank was full.

ABN173

Yeah the prices went higher than I thought they would also, in fact my max bid won it, one more bid and I would have been out too. I was away from the computer during the final hours due to work so I would not have been able to increase my bid even if I had wanted to. I had a M1009 when I was stationed at FT Benning, but it would have cost about $1800 to ship so I sold it down there right before I PCS'd here to Lewis.

Dale

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks