• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What's the big deal about the M764 auger truck?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, been here a short time, and I know I'm gonna be beaten with a rusty tire iron for asking this, but:

What's the big deal about the M764 auger truck?

So, it's rare. So, it's kinda cool. To me, it doesn't seem as useful as a standard duece or a dumper. If you're drilling for oil, or putting in power poles, etc, the auger has a purpose. Otherwise, it takes up vastly needed bed space. Granted it's way more useful than a water/fuel truck, but hey, just a question.

I noticed there was a lot of hubub in the older threads about people's auger trucks, and people seem to get all excited when a new one is found or rescued.

Elwenil

I have noticed this myself. I know that there was on in either NC or SC on ebay for a long time for what seemed a decent price and it didn't sell for months. Shortly after the one on Ebay disappeared, Eastern popped up with one that seems to be double the price of the one on Ebay. I think most of the guys who sell these things seem to think that a truck with a winch is worth $7K and one with two winches has to be at least $12K. For that much money, they can keep them.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm afraid I missed the boat on this one. I've been on this site for a while and haven't seen but a mention or two on the M764 (V18A/MTQ). Now the M756A2 is another story. There are a few of us who rant and rave about them. They are rare and when complete can do everything a cargo truck can do and so very much more.

gbooth

cranetruck said:
A collector item does not have to be useful to be valuable.
I agree Bjorn, I am in to collecting, fixing up, and don't really care if my truck ever works another day in its life. Kind of like blessed retirement. A fully equipped and restored pipe line truck would be a crowd pleaser.

jatonka

I agree with Bjorn, as a collector and a contractor using M-series trucks on site, I must admit I pay more for collectible M-series trucks than I do for the deuces and 5 tons I use at work to earn money, might not make sense to all but I love the rare ones. I have an M-44 with couse shop set #2 2nd echelon that will be ready for the www.wingswheelsandtracks.com show in May and that truck makes me smile, a rolling machine shop. I also have a V18A-MTQ auger truck from 1953 that is the next restore project and then I can move on to my M108 Light crane restore. They don't make many trucks like these any more, so simple, so tough, so different!!!!

rdixiemiller

I would imagine that most of the auger trucks ended up being used to death by power and phone line contractors when they were surplused off. Some people like the rare stuff, and more power to them!!
I wouldn't really have any use for one, but if I fund one I could snag.........
I would end up trading it off to someone who wanted to restore it.

jasonjc

I could think of alot of use for one putting up a mail box plating a row of trees fences post flag poles. [thumbzup]
Plus you would be the only one to have one on your block :p

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bills truck does have the M342A2 bed without the cab protector. Its a former Air Force truck hence the Strata Blue paint. Nice ride and he hails from Michigan.

Desert Rat

Kenny,

Is there ANYTHING you DON'T know?!?!?!?!?

Bjorn,

I wish I could have gotten a response i before you said it was someone else's truck. I was going to post something along the lines of "See, that's what happens when you fjord your truck too often, it turns blue from holding it's breath too long!!!!!! rofl rofl rofl " I can't help but notice both trucks have the fording kits too!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lots of stuff I don't know! I do know that Bills truck is a Studebaker and that he traded a snowplow for the K-Boom. Also know about the steering issues he had after the install of the air assist. I'm not really sure who he dated in high school though. Let me get back with you on that!