• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What's the difference?

rwelker

I've been researching but other than the grills what is the difference between an M818 and an XM818? The XM818's or at least some of them seem to have a deuce-style grill vs the tubular on the M818.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
RE: What

The difference is merely a matter of paperwork. Before a vehicle has been type classified by the military (as Standard A, Standard B, substitute standard, etc.) they carry the prefix X. To slightly oversimplify, sometimes the paperwork for procurement moves faster than the paperwork for type classification, and hence hundreds of trucks of a given series have the X prefix. In this hobby, the XM211 and XM818 are the two most commonly found examples.

Take a XM818 apart, take a M818 apart, mix the pieces together, and you can build to trucks back from them without regard to where they originated.

Hope this helps,
David Doyle

rwelker

David,
Thanks, I've been looking through manuals and such and couldn't really find a difference; I thought they were the same. So most likely the X-varient would have been an early production run, correct? I'm thinking of going to a 800 series instead of my M35A2 but wanted to make sure I was getting what I wanted. Rick

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks