• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What's this lever on column do?

buccaneer

1953 5 ton bridge truck body. There's a lever opposite the flasher lever, on the right side of the upper steering column.

There's air lines to it and it says not to use for parking brake.

It is currently froze and won't move, or else I'd actuate it...

Is this the front axle engagement??? Both my deuces have air front axles and have the air switch under the instrument panel. I haven't found a front actuator on the 5 ton yet...

Pics tomorrow if nobody knows by just my description.

Last edited:

scooter01922

Um...well...i know what that should do on a tractor, but no idea what its for on the bridge truck. That is to actuate the trailer brakes on a semi tractor

mbarber84

Not too familiar with the 5 ton trucks, however, my friend just bought an M818......

I believe what you are describing is the "air hand brake" which allows you to apply and hold the service brakes on hills and such, rather than having to hold the foot pedal down. Its a handy device for starting out on hills with a load on, some over the road trucks have these, the International dumps we have at work have them, pretty nice feature....

As for the front axle engagement, again, im no expert here, but I believe the 5 tons are sprag type engagement and will only be activated when the rear wheels out run or over turn the front ( I think), when you put the truck in reverse, you should be able to hear a "air sound" followed by a "metal thud" which is the sprag going out (I think)

I might be all wet, but thats the best I can do, Im sure the 5 ton guys will jump all over this in a minute or two......

My 2 cents

Last edited:

buccaneer

The name of it is...........spike brake. It is to apply the brakes to the trailer only. Tractors have them. Bridge truck? got me there. But it's a spike brake.

This answer makes sense... I call it a bridge truck because it has the 10 foot or so wide bed with the lockable side panels on a flat bed... and the plate on the front driver side of the bed says Bridge Body or something like that...

FreightTrain

Banned
That is a Johnson bar.used to activate trailer brakes manually on a tractor.No clue why it is on a bridge truck unless they set them up to activate a tag trailer brake which would make some sense because of weight.Bridge sections ain't light!

m139h2otruck

Both M139 gasser bridge trucks that we have had the trailer/trolley brake levers on the side of the steering column. The M812 does not.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a Johnson bar.used to activate trailer brakes manually on a tractor.No clue why it is on a bridge truck unless they set them up to activate a tag trailer brake which would make some sense because of weight.Bridge sections ain't light!
That's what old truckers around here call them. I have no idea why. Maybe Johnson was the company that made them or something.

I have seen Mack dumptrucks that had them. It applied the truck brakes.

BEASTMASTER

that lever is and forever has been called the trolley brake. it's used to hold the trailer brakes, then if you have to move ,a little at a time you still can work the gas and clutch with you 're feet. real handy when you're against a paverbox or spreading stone. fun to make you're trailer go sideways in the snow too.:-D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks