• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wheel and Tire Advice

ChevyFan1207

Hello everyone. I just got through visiting some of my relatives for the holidays, and one of them had a set of Summit Mud Dawg tires. They are for 17 inch rims, and my M1009 came with 15s (Not sure if that's the "stock" rim or not). I was talking to a friend of mine and he said that he thinks I might have an odd bolt pattern, and new wheels would be hard to find. The only thing I could find to tell me what my bolt pattern would be is 6-139.

Anyone swapped up for a bigger size, that might have some advice, or any other expertise? It would be greatly appreciated.

four_by_ken

Hello everyone. I just got through visiting some of my relatives for the holidays, and one of them had a set of Summit Mud Dawg tires. They are for 17 inch rims, and my M1009 came with 15s (Not sure if that's the "stock" rim or not). I was talking to a friend of mine and he said that he thinks I might have an odd bolt pattern, and new wheels would be hard to find. The only thing I could find to tell me what my bolt pattern would be is 6-139.

Anyone swapped up for a bigger size, that might have some advice, or any other expertise? It would be greatly appreciated.

Your M1009 is a standard Chevy bolt pattern... far from odd. You shouldnt have any problem finding rims.

AJMBLAZER

Only difficulty might be in the fact that 17" wheels will probably usually have backspacing meant for later IFS trucks. You'll want to find a set of rims with 3.5-4" or so worth of backspacing. Probably a 17x8 or 17x9. Also make sure they have a big enough center hole for the front hubs to fit through.

91W350

AJMBlazer.... That is some good advice. I bought some Bronco wheels for my Jeep back in the day and they worked great on the rear, but I had to take the front ones to the machine shop and have the center holes enlarged for the front. It was kind of disappointing for a high school kid working in a gas station. Anyway, first time I replaced the tires, wound up with four directional tires mounted, two wheels with tread facing left and two facing right. Only the cut wheels had tires mounted in the same direction. I took the other two wheels in and had them done. It was nice to be able to rotate as well. One of life's embarassing lessons, or just my standard of learning the hard way. Glen

AJMBLAZER

Eh, to me it seems like common sense but I've met tire shop guys who went, "back...spacing...wha?" when I asked them about it.

Guy on here also learned the hard way last year by just buying a set of 16x8's and finding out the 5" of backspacing screwed him all up.

Also seen too many people do the opposite. 15x10's for that "deep dish" look with 3" of backspacing and then wonder why their 33's rubbed with 4" of lift. Even better when they complain their tires are always throwing crap on the body...but they stick 6" out from the fenders duh!

DeadeyeDink

Summit Mud Dawg Tires for CUCV

Hi Guys,
I just joined the STEEL SOLDIERS and wanted to through in my 2 cents worth.
I've had my M1009 for 3 years now and bought a set of the 35x11.5R15 Summit Mud Dawg HV tires and they are GREAT ! They are a super tire in the mud,sand, and snow along with smooth, quiet ride on the highway. They stay in great balance and so far I've got about 13,000 miles on them ( Balance every 5000 miles ) all very little treadwear. I liked them so much I purchased a set for my 02 F-350 4x4 last week.
They run about about $120.00 each .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks