• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wheel and tire questions

thoner7

I’ve read a lot of contradicting opinions on the stock 2 piece wheels. Some say they ride terrible others they are fine. What gives? If they are balanced why wouldn’t they ride smooth?

they definitely limit tire options. I am interested in 40s and can only find one tire that a 16.5” wheels- theSuper Swamper 39.5x13.50-16.5LT Tire, IROK and it’s low/out of stock almost everywhere.

then there is very little in terms of aftermarket tires that fit humvees with the proper back spacing. Black rhino is popular but I haven’t seen much else.

any input is helpful. Thanks.

Thumper580

I used Black Rhinos on both my HMMWV's. The Armory wheels look great and are strong. Pick either 17's or 18's and the tires of your choice. They balance great and eliminate any potential issues with the stock wheels. I have used -18 and +6 without any issues. Good luck.

thoner7

I used Black Rhinos on both my HMMWV's. The Armory wheels look great and are strong. Pick either 17's or 18's and the tires of your choice. They balance great and eliminate any potential issues with the stock wheels. I have used -18 and +6 without any issues. Good luck.
Which offset keep the in the wheel well closest to stock?

CEPEKs will allow runflat option. Perfect fit.
those seem hard to find in 17s too. And expensive.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Which offset keep the in the wheel well closest to stock?

those seem hard to find in 17s too. And expensive.

CEPEKs-Expensive BUT an exact fit and literally bullet proof.

or…

You
Should speak with Hummer H1. 300,000 miles on various steel 16.5x37’s over the years and he swears by them.

Last edited:

Thumper580

Huh. got any pics of them both? I thought you needed something like -50 to stay close to stock. 7” of backspacing.

found this deal online tho, seems like a real low price. Anyone heard of these tires before?
I'll post a couple in about an hour or so....

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can also buy split two piece 17 inch Hutchinson rims meant for Hummer H1.

You can also modify 17” Hummer H2 rims to fit.

Thumper580

Huh. got any pics of them both? I thought you needed something like -50 to stay close to stock. 7” of backspacing.

found this deal online tho, seems like a real low price. Anyone heard of these tires before?
The camo one has -18. Zoom in on the front wheel and you can see the amount it sticks out (about 2"). The night picture on the green one is +6. Maybe an inch out......PXL_20210613_235257852.jpgIMG_20221130_172533123_HDR.jpg

Thumper580

The first one can’t really tell. That second pic looks awesome. What width is the wheel with that backspacing?
wheel spacing is 9.5" and backspacing is 5.5". I'm running 37x12.50 tires. The +6's are so close to original it's hard to tell the difference.

Vapor Trail

I’ve done a ton of research and it seems the tire manufacturers and the wheel manufacturers don’t get together at all. All the 38,39, and 40 inch tires come 13.50 wide unless you go with non DOT approved race tires. Those come 12.50 for Baja stuff. The manufacturers recommend 10-11 inch wide wheels for them but none of the wheel manufacturers make wheels that wide unless you go 20 inches tall. They’re all 8.5. As best as I can tell the best option is a Method 704HD which is 9 inches wide with 5.75” of backspacing. If my math is correct the wheel edge (not tire) will stick out 2” past factory wheel. 8.25”-7=1.25”. 9-5.75-1.25=2. The tire will stick out about 1.5 more inches than that

thoner7

I’ve done a ton of research and it seems the tire manufacturers and the wheel manufacturers don’t get together at all. All the 38,39, and 40 inch tires come 13.50 wide unless you go with non DOT approved race tires. Those come 12.50 for Baja stuff. The manufacturers recommend 10-11 inch wide wheels for them but none of the wheel manufacturers make wheels that wide unless you go 20 inches tall. They’re all 8.5. As best as I can tell the best option is a Method 704HD which is 9 inches wide with 5.75” of backspacing. If my math is correct the wheel edge (not tire) will stick out 2” past factory wheel. 8.25”-7=1.25”. 9-5.75-1.25=2. The tire will stick out about 1.5 more inches than that
Yea So offset on the stock rim is what +50?!
When looking for aftermarket wheels is it best to try and keep a 7” backspacing or 50 offset!?

ps Rimzoneonline.com has a great search feature for finding wheels with varies offsets and sizes

Last edited:

thoner7

So help me out:

a 9” wide wheel with 6mm offset would have roughly a 4.75” backspacing?

a 9.5” wide wheel with 6mm offset would have roughly a 5”” backspacing?

And a 9.5” wide wheel with 12mm offset would have roughly a 5.5” backspacing?

none seem that close to stock really.

Gamble

If you go with 20 inch wheels, the world opens up to you with tire choices. I think 40s are the perfect size tires and 13.5 width are optimal. There is a 15.5 width but that may cause some issues with fitment. Also, if you're running after market wheels, BE SURE you inspect the lug nuts periodically and torque them down.

Attachments

Thumper580

So help me out:

a 9” wide wheel with 6mm offset would have roughly a 4.75” backspacing?

a 9.5” wide wheel with 6mm offset would have roughly a 5”” backspacing?

And a 9.5” wide wheel with 12mm offset would have roughly a 5.5” backspacing?

none seem that close to stock really.
The +6 Black Rhino wheels are very close to stock...maybe 3/4" farther out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks