• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wheel Backspace Adapter Q's. M1008

J.Z.

wheels

Funny, I bought these because $400 did seem cheap..I do not want to split these up but maybe we could get something worked out..they are 36x12.5x16.5...,...the wheels are stored at my farm in Lonsdale if you did want to take a look....

ABN173

More questions

I was hoping to have ordered the 2" wheel spacers already, but me being me I like to shop around for best price. Matt aka cucvnut sent me this link:
Chevrolet/GMC 2" Wheel Spacers

Anyway checked on e-bay also(this is where it gets as clear as mud):

2" thickness: check
8 x 6.5" to 8 x 6.5": check
9/16th stud: check

but what about the inner diameter or "hub diameter" seemed like each one I looked at had a different measurement and of course Chevrolet M1008 or CUCV is not a model selection, I did have luck with K30 but some had different measurements so chime in and I'll order these once I get back stateside.

Thanks,
Dale

wayne pick

Hea Dale, I had a bad experience with aluminum wheel adapters. I put these adapters on a 86 C10 I had, changing the bolt pattern from 5 lug 15in Chevy truck to a 5 lug 15in Chevy Corvette rally wheel with BF goodrich TAs. Long story short, I went through two sets up front as they cept breaking. Broke one hitting a shallow pot hole in a parking lot. Those 2in wheel spacers are almost identical to the adapters I had judging by the photo. I would go with the steel ones, Pricy at about $350 a pair. I would not trust those chinsy aluminum spacers with big tires and a heavy truck on them. That C10 was light, 2wd, 305 4sp. I think these trucks are too heavy for them. Just my 2ct's.

bshupe

Im about to order some of these as well and I noticed that most of the ones on ebay look like they have a minimal amount of material around the outside circumference that would really support the studs and that concerns me. The ones HERE seem to me to be much more substantial and are even a better price.

Im more than happy to be corrected but they look good to me.

bshupe

wayne: I appreciate your story but I have to be honest. You're the first I have heard of that had a first person bad experience. Ive heard a number of people say they heard of a guy who had a bad experience but no first hand knowledge of it. Thanks for telling your story.

Perhaps you should have been driving a CUCV and not a C10. Could be nothing but Im just sayin'.....

jets1959

Im about to order some of these as well and I noticed that most of the ones on ebay look like they have a minimal amount of material around the outside circumference that would really support the studs and that concerns me. The ones HERE seem to me to be much more substantial and are even a better price.

Im more than happy to be corrected but they look good to me.
Hey I really like the truck in your avatar. Looks a lot like mine!

bshupe

jets1959: Yes SIR.... but not for long. lol

Thanks to you and barring any tragedy I will be visiting Brad this weekend and landing me a trailer, a set of 12 bolts and some 37 take-offs. It is shaping up to be the most productive hunting trip of my life. Like I told you before, getting his number was like finding a $1000 in my coat pocket.

I will admit that driving the 5 hour round trip in a truck I have only had a few weeks has me a little nervous but so far it has been a perfect truck in every way and I think it will be fine. This will be a good trial run for the PNW rally later this year which I hope to attend if only for the convoy experience!

wayne pick

bshupe, I sence a little disbelief on your part in my "story" Well, theres a second part to the story but I didn't want to drone on about it. I ended up selling the truck to a guy at work that hounded me about buying it for weeks on end. He knew about the problem with the adapters and i strongly advised him to put the stock rims back on. He would have none of it saying I didn't torque the lugs down tight enough. I used a torque wrench as per manufacturers instructions. He put an impact on them and about a week later put the truck into a class 8 pole destroying truck and pole. Beleve it or not, it happend. If the "billet" spacers are so good, why are they also available in steel. BTW, This happend back in the mid 90s, If CUCV'S were available I would have had one.

bshupe

Nah, I believe you just putting it into perspective with all the people who use them and use them rough without trouble. Maybe you just got a faulty set.

Is it possible that the spacer you were using were the molded version and not the billet versions that are being discussed here?

Last edited:

bshupe

So I just order my spacers. I found an auction on ebay from the same place I saw online. On their website the spacers were $109/pair and on ebay they were $89/pair. I ordered 2 pair and it combined the shipping making it an even $200 for 4 spacers and shipping.

I guess it pays to shop around a little.

bshupe

Ummm..... cause Im not rolling a two wheeler?

Seriously, I know that many people here run the spacers on the front only since that is the only place you really need them but I dont like the look. I want all four corners to to be equally offset.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks