• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wheel bearing inspection

nchittendon

Trying to get the deuce ready for the Iola Military Vehicle Show coming up soon. Is there a "quick" and easy way to inspect bearings without a complete dis-assembly? I've never had to do brakes or bearings, and that is the last thing to be touched on the truck. I don't really want to make the trip without at least putting eyes on them first.

The future plan is to get all new brakes and bearings, along with upgraded front axle seals and the works. Just haven't made it a priority since everything has been working great. I just picked up a set of MRAP wheels and tires that I will be mounting as soon as I get my adapters, and will probably tear into everything at that point.

Thanks!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Not really, the whole hub has to come off to check the bearings. Don't wear yourself out, do one axle a day. Maybe even half an axle a day.

Flyingvan911

Yep. They didn't quite make it as simple as it could have been but they did do it in a way that makes you check several things at once which isn't such a bad thing either.

drivebymashing

I need to do this also. I dont even want to take the wheels off my truck... They weigh more than i do. Its really the only thing keeping me from taking it on long trips.

rustystud

I need to do this also. I dont even want to take the wheels off my truck... They weigh more than i do. Its really the only thing keeping me from taking it on long trips.
Honestly, most guys here need to invest in a wheel dolly. It makes working on the deuce so much easier. If your working smarter then harder your saving your body and channeling your efforts into more productive work. Since we don't work on large trucks for a living ( I'm retired now ) we don't have to buy commercial grade units either ( like OTC ) . Harbor Freight tools work fine for the occasional wheel removal.

orren

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you don't have seal leakage just check the hubs for being too hot to touch. Also, like when changing a tire or when ever, check
for wheel wobble and if a little loose tighten wheel nut a little. If you hear rumbling or it gets too hot then you
need to do the job right. You well know bearings go out at the worst time and place so don't push your luck.

Trying to get the deuce ready for the Iola Military Vehicle Show coming up soon. Is there a "quick" and easy way to inspect bearings without a complete dis-assembly? I've never had to do brakes or bearings, and that is the last thing to be touched on the truck. I don't really want to make the trip without at least putting eyes on them first.

The future plan is to get all new brakes and bearings, along with upgraded front axle seals and the works. Just haven't made it a priority since everything has been working great. I just picked up a set of MRAP wheels and tires that I will be mounting as soon as I get my adapters, and will probably tear into everything at that point.

Thanks!

I was into motorcycles a long time before I got into military trucks. I found that my 60 dollar motorcycle jack works perfectly for my deuce wheel removal needs.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Reactions: HDN
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks