• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

wheel bearing socket for M101A2 trailer

jimm1009

Can anyone tell what size the nut is for the wheel bearing used on the M101A2 axle with the 8-bolt hubs that use OEM Chevy wheels?
Or possibly the part number is they use a particular brand like OTC?

I do have the TM but it does not describe wrench size.

Thanks,
jimm1009

jimm1009

Thanks Tim but don't go to that trouble.
When it arrives tomorrow I'll check it out.
I was just looking for some info in advance to order the right one
if I don't have it.
I purchased one for my middle son to pull behind his truck.

PS: How do you put a torque wrench on those blue handels to set the correct preload on the bearings?

jimm1009

shootiniron

Ditto on the doing it by feel.Never have used a torque wrench on wheel bearings.Just snug em up then give it a spin and then depending back it off a smidge.I even think that was how it was explained way back when in auto shop.

blybrook

When I rebuilt my hubs, I believe I used either a 1-1/2 or a 1-3/8" socket. I had both on hand, there was a little slop, but not enough to round anything out.

I did use the torque wrench to set the bearing into place (30 ft-lbs), then backed it off a smidge before putting in the cotter pin.

HTH

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
You will never hear of a bearing burning up from being on the loose side. But too much, and watch out! Snug enough is what mine get!

harleyhouse

Same as I was taught.
Spin the hub,
Tighten until it stops spinning,
Back off the nut to the first cotter pin hole,
castle retainer and cotter pin in
spin the hub if it rolls smooth
Bend the cotter pin legs back
You are good to go.