• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wheel cylinders

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Changing out one of my wheel cylinders on the M37 and this came up. Now the wheel cylinder that looks new and has no machining on the face where the copper washer would go is a New China wheel cylinder. The older one with rust is from my M37 and the new one was to be for the M37 but the machine area where the copper rubber brake fitting is cut round. Where the old M37 has just the one flat cut on the top by the bleeder. This flat cut hold the rubber brake like fitting that is more square and will not let the fitting move when you go to tighten it up.
Now with all that the point. Look at the new but wrong cylinder for the M37 it has machined into the area where the copper washer rides some defined grooves to cut into the copper washer and help make a better seal. The Deuce has none and I do not know what a American made one looks like or if it has the machining for the washer to cut into. The old M37 looks pretty smooth to but I see some lines but that might be from the old washer sitting on it for years and someone used an old copper washer that was off a cylinder that was machined better with the grooves. Does anyone have a American made Deuce or 809 series wheel cylinder to check for machining. Also one would think the copper washer when the bolt / fitting is tighten down good it still should seal ok but are we loosing quality these days. Also you can see the old copper washer has the machined grooves from a wheel cylinder that was machined. The other washer was from New China and is not as thick. Rant over.

Attachments

Last edited:

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I get what you are asking. ALL of the cylinders in the pics are machined....some are smooth, some have purpose made ridges machined into them. I have seen and used both types. As long as the surface is clean, the washer will seal as long as it is new. Used washers that were on a "grooved" finish cylinder do not like to seal on flat surfaces, the re used flat ones will seal fine on the grooved cylinders. Same for masters. I keep all of the washers I take off and separate them by what type of face they were used on.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea new on assembly always but just the three I have only the USA made has the ridges the New China does not. The one I do not have is one from / for a Deuce or 809 series made in the USA to see if it had ridges. Just seems like we only get crap / plus other things we do not want from China. Guess it is all about the Benjamins. If I would have also included the 809 series would a mod not have moved my thread. I just did not have one in my tool box now. It is not about just the M37 wheel cylinders it is about any MV's that runs our hydraulic brakes but no worries.

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I would have also included the 809 series would a mod not have moved my thread. I just did not have one in my tool box now. It is not about just the M37 wheel cylinders it is about any MV's that runs our hydraulic brakes but no worries.
First paragraph and pics in your OP are clearly about changing out M37 wheel cylinders.
The Conversations Forum is for topics that won't fit in elsewhere on the site.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If we need to use a new cylinder, we put new rubber parts in them. The replaced rubbers are hopefully US made, boxes of them are sitting on the shelf.

pigpen60

We used to reuse copper washers in my former life and I would see sealing problems due to work hardening. I would take the used washer and heat it to red and quench. Clean it up and use it. If you want to use American but you cant find it then reuse your old one. If it is pitted there are shops that reline your old one.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea the new wheel cylinders come with the new small copper on the M37. I have on order Doorman #66250 kit just to see if the larger copper washer that goes on the bolt first is in the assortment. So we have the first one that goes on the bolt / fitting then the brass block then the smaller copper washer from brass block to wheel cylinder. This whole rant is just to see if the ridges were a norm for US made wheel cylinders for all MV's. Just looking at things again I have a copper washer that has ridges on both sides. To me since the brass block does not have the ridges this copper washer was used twice just flipped over for the one more time use on cylinders that have ridges. No worries I have bigger problems now or should I say more expensive. Just going to have to put on the ski mask and go to my bank. No problem not much traffic to get in my way after I make my get away. Also I heard if you just go into the bank coughing they will throw all the money at you just wanting you to leave.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks