• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

wheel drag then the axle shaft pushed the cap off the hub

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok today I picked up my M35 from DRMO. All goes well until i go to load on the trailer. The truck is driving along in the yard then the left front wheel shutters and drags and the axle shaft pushed the cap off. Now it rolls but the wheel has dragged intermnetaly. I know I have a problem. Any ideas. Here is a picture.

Attachments

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: wheel drag then the axle shaft pushed the cap off the hu

Wheel Bearings?

Need more pics of the front axle.....

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter

every thing else looks normal What would you like to see?

CCATLETT1984

take the cap off and look inside. Jack that side of the front axle up and see if the hub moves in and out (it may be missing parts inside the hub.)

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

I think either a bearing failed or perhaps that inner seal retainer popped out.............

randyscycle

I think the tip of the stub shaft is broken off and got pushed out.

If all is as normal in the knuckle, the spindle holds the shaft in place and keeps it from coming out any at all. The only way the shaft could come out that far is if the spindle was worn so badly as to allow the axle to push out farther, or the axle end is broken and got forced out through the cap.

randyscycle

There isn't a seal in the back of the spindle, only a thrust surface for the front of the joint to run against and control the end play. There is a bushing inside the spindle as well, but it only keeps the axle centered in the spindle and the cap takes care of the other end.

On the axle tube or inner end there is a seal holder and thrust washer to control the end play inward. If it came out, it probably wouldn't go anywhere.

I would think the ujoint went out on the axle or some thing wrong in the third member . older mack with heavy rear ends had the same type of freeze plug cap and if you broke a axle it mould push out through this plug .maybe this plug gives the axle a place to go so it won't hold the axle shafts together and damage more in side the housing . kenny

randyscycle

CCATLETT1984 said:
I havent had my front axle apart, just was going on the "civilian" axles I have taken apart. All of them had a seal that ran on the axleshaft to seal against the back of the spindle.
In the case of the Rockwell its a bit different as the knuckle and wheel bearings aren't isolated from one another. The seal keeping the diff oil from the knuckle is on the inside of the knuckle in the axle tube. There isn't any need to keep the spindle sealed in that case.

Also, the axle would have had to break off the stub shaft on the front to pierce the cap, or else the back of the spindle is so worn out that it allowed the axle to move outboard an inch or so. There isn't much way to push the whole u-joint yoke through the inside of the spindle and allow the axle to come out far enough.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm going to have to concur with a broken stub. The inside of the spindle and thrust surface would have to be eaten away significantly for the shaft to just slide out. Now with all this said, why would it break. I'd be double checking to make sure AWD is not stuck in the engage mode all the time. No sense in fixing an axle without finding the cause.

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor
i would think that if the back of the spindle wore enough to pop the axle cap like that the spindle would have broke off before it got to the point of loosin the cap. when those axles break the often times splinter and the shards of axle are prolly jamming in the spindle tube and causing the drag due to the splines still being in contact with the driver cap. pop off the driver cap and see if you can spin the axle with a pair of channell locks. also drive the truck around your yard with the driver cap off, if the drag goes away you know your bearings arent the cause.

SETOYOTA,
Please post your findings. If you can, post some progress pictures. This thread is very interesting. Here is a tip for repacking the bearings.
I use a kitchen vacuum sealer, put in your bearing with a glob of grease then vacuum seal it, bearing is packed. Then cut it open when you are ready to install it. No mess and it keeps dirt out until you are ready to install it. Also works good for keeping small parts organized durring a project.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
... yes pull the hub and eventually the broken stub comes out.
Better jack it up and turn that wheel by hand and check for play before continue driving!
You will have to disassemble and remove spindle and remaining axle parts. Clean/inspect everything thoroughly and search for the cause!

G.

randyscycle

As Recovery 4X4 mentioned, there could have been an axle issue that caused the breakage. I'm thinking an axle that didn't disengage, then someone drove it around on asphalt, breaking the end off the axle stub shaft.

FreightTrain

Banned
randyscycle said:
As Recovery 4X4 mentioned, there could have been an axle issue that caused the breakage. I'm thinking an axle that didn't disengage, then someone drove it around on asphalt, breaking the end off the axle stub shaft.
Nah,this wouldn't have caused a broken axle unless you had detroits and really tried.I have driven in 6 on pavement before.Drove long distances.Turning gets a little wierd when you have one wheel powering through the turn instead of 2 plowing through.