• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wheel hop reduction?

airmech3839

I have heard this mentioned in threads but no thread dedicated to this that i found. When starting out in the deuce I get some rear wheel hop and it feels like I am gonna do some damage sometimes it gets bad. I have air shift front not sprag so I am not as worried about that aspect. Have started in 2nd a couple of times when at a short light but try not to do it often. There are a few lights around me that if I start in 1st when it goes green that it is yellow before I clear intersection....anywho I think some guys have added traction bars and that has helped but I was wanting more info like what kind and is there a kit or is it a fab yourself kinda deal. I am not much of a car/truck mech....I am an airplane wingnut so my knowledge in this area is slim....although I am good at reading and following directions and prints so, any help is welcomed. If anyone has done this please post pics!!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This may or may not be related, but bias ply tires develop flat spots when the truck is parked for some time, often for as short a period as overnight if it's cold out. Drive until the tires warm up and it should go away.

Of course, tire pressure is by the book etc, right?

jblack6527

Are you running on one rear axle? If so, did you just pull the inter-axle drive shaft out? you might try putting it back in and see if it goes away.

ctmustang

I experienced this hopping at takeoff in one of my other deuces some time back. It was pretty simple to diagnose. I pulled the flywheel -took it to work and machined it flat. They do tend to warp a little overtime. Take offf after machining was smooth from there on.

1stDeuce

Ah yes, that's what it is... You're slipping the clutch too much... Assuming you have both rear axles driving, it's not wheel hop, it's clutch chatter... You need to rev the engine a bit less, and get the clutch all the way out kinda quickly before you throttle the thing to look for the next gear.

You may just have a really grabby clutch too, with a little oil on it, or who knows.... but whatever it is, you're not getting wheel hop most likely, you're getting clutch chatter. Get the clutch out as soon as you can... Lots of people are used to driving cars and trucks and adding throttle while they ease up on the clutch... Heavy trucks don't like this... Low rpm, clutch all the way out, then feed it...

Ymmv.
C