• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wheel hub warm/hot

Jeeper10

I took my deuce out for a little test ride this morning and overall everything went quite well. The fuel system seems to be better after cleaning the tank and changing/cleaning the filters. After doing a post drive check in and around the truck I noticed the Rear hub that I put new seals in and obviously repacked the bearings was a good amount warmer than the rest of the hubs. Is it safe to assume that I've tighten the bearings too much? I re used the bearings as I couldn't see anything wrong with them. I have ordered a socket that will fit on the hub bearing bolts so I can torque them down properly but in the meantime does anybody have a rule of thumb on tightening them by hand. Obviously my guesstimate was wrong lol.

Last edited:

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What I've learned is that you tighten the wheel bearings until it drags a bit then back off 1/4 turn. ALSO, I've knocked the drum back and forth with a rubber mallet to remove the excess pre-load on the bearings. It should spin nicely by hand. It should also have no side play when you try to dog walk the drum by hand.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As bigmike said - Heat can come from dragging brakes (but usually that means the drums get really hot, not just warm) or from friction in the hub itself (seal, preload etc.). I was taught that as long as you can put your naked hand onto the hub and can stand leaving it there, the hub is not too hot. I recommend testing the temperature cautiously first, before smacking your whole hand on hot steel! :-D

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A 1/4 to 1/3 turn, back off, usually does it. Re-using bearings is OK too. When tightening, the hub should be turned as you keep tightening, even over-tight, to ensure that the tapered bearings/cup climbs up fully, on the tapered cone. Rotating the hub while tightening, is very important, then do your back-off. The few thousands, end play, comes from the back-off. Take the tpi (threads per inch) & divide it by 1. So one complete revolution of the nut, means roughly, that many thousands ( the jam nut takes out a few thousands). Sorta how a micrometer works, but the threads are much more precise.

Its probably your drum dragging, that is causing the heat. Bearings have to be severely over-tight, to cause a problem, but better on the loose side.

Temperature: I can hold onto about 150*F. Still probably might be a symptom of dragging drum.

Jeeper10

Thank you everyone. The drum seemed cool compared to the hub. I readjusted the hearing nut and will take a ride tomorrow and see how it is. Thank you everyone. On a side note I replaced both seals on this hub and yet there still seems to be axle gear oil in my grease..... Grrrr. I guess I'll be re doing that too. Not sure what I could do different in them. I made certain to replace the cork too.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you sure it's axle oil in the grease or did you use the wrong grease? You have to use high temp drum grease.

Jeepsinker

The secret is to stop using the cork. Fill that keyway with gear oil specific rtv silicone. Had you been patient, you'd have noticed that next time you drove it, the hub would've been cooler. They always run a little hotter after being packed until everything gets seated again. I usually run mine 20 miles or so, just a short trip is all you need. Then every trip afterward they will be noticeably cooler. Mine all run at ambient temperature, they don't get hot unless it is coming up on time to service them again.

Jeeper10

The secret is to stop using the cork. Fill that keyway with gear oil specific rtv silicone. Had you been patient, you'd have noticed that next time you drove it, the hub would've been cooler. They always run a little hotter after being packed until everything gets seated again. I usually run mine 20 miles or so, just a short trip is all you need. Then every trip afterward they will be noticeably cooler. Mine all run at ambient temperature, they don't get hot unless it is coming up on time to service them again.
Thank you for the info, I'll give the tip a try on my next wheel... Or maybe this one if it keeps being a problem lol

sac

I did this last summer and found out it was the aftermarket outer seal rubbing on the bearing. I bought some nos seals and it fixed it.