• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wheel maintenance

im lost

Hey guys,

I recently purchased some new tires to go on my HMMWV (Goodyear Wrangler MTR) and a couple things came up during the tire swap. First thing was one of the tires has the older magnesium run flat and the other three have the rubber run flats. Will this cause an issue?

Second, one tire has a bad O-ring (between the two halves). I did some looking around in the -20 and it looks like different set ups us different wheel o-rings. Do these actually make a difference or can I just buy any of the wheel o-rings and they'll work?

Lastly, I had a local tire shop do the swap for me and the guy running the shop was supposedly a former Army Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic. I asked ahead of time to make sure they'd put the lubricant in with the rubber run flats as mentioned in the -20. He assured me they would but after it took them a full work day for the swap (dropped the wheels off at 0800, they finally finished around 1730) I lost some confidence in their assurances. My question here is how critical is the lube? Is it worth taking the tires off and lubing them up myself? Also, I used the part number from the pub in google to find the lube without much luck, is there any special lube or a suitable substitute you can point me in the direction of?

Thanks in advance.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You didn't say what rims you have...but the magnesium run flat is garbage and only used on the old 8 bolt rim.
they did away with them...think what happens to magnesium when it catches fire.
i don't use the lube...and it's only needed if you run on the run flat. I always install run flats as it is the bead lock, and that is critical. If I get a flat? I carry a spare.

tage

Any o ring as it falls into spec.
It takes a good amount of time to do a set of tires correctly especially when you're beating on them with a duck bill sledge. I would be happy if a shop did the work in a day especially with 24 bolt rims. Which you haven't elaborated on yours yet.

+1 about the Mg run flat.

im lost

Sorry guys, I have the 12 bolt wheels. I'm not meaning to complain about the shop, the guys installed and balanced for $20/wheel and I usually use them for most of my auto work. I'm just double checking. I like this truck and I want to make sure I take care of her.

And copy on the Mg run flat, I'll start looking for a replacement on that. I don't plan on running on the run flats as when I ordered the tires, I ordered an additional one for the spare, I just need to order a 5th rim to put it on.

Thanks for the info.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any o ring as it falls into spec.
It takes a good amount of time to do a set of tires correctly especially when you're beating on them with a duck bill sledge. I would be happy if a shop did the work in a day especially with 24 bolt rims. Which you haven't elaborated on yours yet.
That "beating with a duck-bill sledge"-part must be a joke, or....??

In case it isn't... : 12- or 24-bolt rims doesn't matter, these are tubeless rims with a 15º shoulder at the bead flange. Everything comes apart very easily once the nuts are off. (that`s exactly why a bead-lock is a must, here).
For someone having an impact wrench it should take minutes, not hours- to completely disassemble a HMMWV tire/wheel combo. And there is absolutely no place- or reason to ever use a duckbill hammer here, which may result in damaged tire beads and/or dented rims.
No hitting; no brute force; no tire mounting machine required. Eventually yes, a bit of soapy water applied in between wheel and rubber insert, since (clean)rubber tends to stick to the high-gloss painted inner wheel surface.

... I'm not meaning to complain about the shop, the guys installed and balanced for $20/wheel...
Wow, for a full day's job, that is not a lot of money, really!

G.

tage

I don't hit the rim. Just enough to break the bead. :doh: Why fight with it when one habt the tools laying around.

$20 dollars a rim is good, especially if re-using the old beadlocks. Off road shops charge that much just to balance 1 wheel, and won't even mess with the rubber insert beadlocks locally.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks