• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wheel safety?

TwoStates

What sort of precautions need to be taken with the two piece wheel design on the HMMWV? My truck in waiting has 12 bolt rims and worn out tires, so I bought a set of 24 bolt rims with tires and run flats already installed. I've never messed with two piece rims, but I've read many horror stories about them. Is there any special precautions that should be taken when checking tire pressure and changing the tires? I won't be taking apart the rims.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As far I am concerned combat rims are downright safe.
I think you are thinking split rims they will kill you by looking at them wrong. Combat rims are fairly easy let air out if not already out unbolt rim and break bead that's the hard part sometimes, sometimes not.
Change tire install new o ring rebolt rim back together air tire up.
Simple.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No I don't but I also don't stand near it just in case.
It would really hard to blow that rim apart with all the bolts.
But the tire could blow off rim.

HUMVEE1

Split rims and combat rims are two different concepts. The horror stories involve split rims whilst Humvees have combat rims.
The thought behind the number of bolts considers the distance between adjacent bolts if one were to break, the tire pressure, and load.
Originally Humvees had 8 bolt wheels, bias ply tires aired to 20/25 lbs. and magnesium sectional run flat devices utilizing grease packs and in use could be a fire hazzard.
With the introduction of the radial tire, CTIS, and the civilian Hummer came the use of the 12 bolt wheel and rubber bead lock/run flat to decrease the distance between remaining bolts should one bolt fail, with the 24 bolt wheel coming along for the heavier later versions.
Initially seating the bead is the most dangerous point in time when working with tires.
Like a moron, I once painted a rim and then tried to mount a tire while the paint was still a little tacky with terrible results.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you won't be taking them apart,this will not an issue.
but at some point, if you get a blow out, someone will...but as others have said, it's not hard, just time consuming getting the runflat in and out. It's a PITA and I do them monthly...and I hate it, and that's with all the correct tools.
the biggest thing now is date codes on tires, many shops won't touch a tire older then a couple years from mfg date.
for fear of exploding side walls on air up after bead seating.
Les Schwab told me legislation was being worked to make it a law about date codes....just what he said.

Special T

Date codes might matter some places but not up here in the PNW. Best part of combat rims is that you dont need any special tools to mount or demount them. No tire shop necessary.

If a tire cage is not available there are 2important things to remember. It is safest to be facing the tread not the sides while inflating. Once the tire is seated on the bead bolt to the vehicle then finish airing up. If the tire or wheel come apart (unlikely it will be the combat rim) there will be less flying around with potential to do damage.