• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

wheel studs

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some people junk all their left hand thread struds and replace with RH thread throughout. Just an uncalled for five cent piece of trivia :)

mbehne

Some people junk all their left hand thread struds and replace with RH thread throughout. Just an uncalled for five cent piece of trivia :)
Funny you say that. I recently had a conversation about doing that very thing. I finally got a torque wrench that will go either way, but was close swapping them out.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Left/right rotation for the studs is there BECAUSE the vibration that is caused by the wheel will cause the lug nuts to loosen on the left rotation studs if these studs are changed to right rotation.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Left/right rotation for the studs is there BECAUSE the vibration that is caused by the wheel will cause the lug nuts to loosen on the left rotation studs if these studs are changed to right rotation.
How, one might ask, do the other hundreds of different truck variants in the civy world manage this risk? No RH/LH threads there.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Must have never owned a Chrysler from the 60s-70s.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am often amazed at members that are not familiar with big trucks, yet they re-engineer their trucks, like they do know about them.

I think to myself, "hmm, he thinks he's a better engineer than the ones that built the truck."

Rather than re-engineer what they don't understand, they should in fact learn what they do not understand.

mbehne

That is why we didn't in the end...also I like to do things correctly, ie the correct torque wrench. Maybe I don't understand things, and the two pop method is safe, as that is what most of my searches turned up for doing it "correctly".

But for discussion sake, which would be worse, an incorrectly torqued lug nut possibly to the point of stretching/failure or replacing with the incorrect/opposite stud/nut combo and being able to correctly torque it. This is what we were discussing...and If I had decided to go that route I was prepared to re-torque frequently.

Mike

Last edited:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I once purchased a 1962 Triumph TR3 with wire wheels. Little did I know that someone had switched the front hubs, left to right. After driving for one day, I lost the left front wheel while driving. The right front knockoff was also loose. Keep the left hand studs.