• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wheel studs

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gary, I believe you can get them "off the shelf". Got some at a truck repair facility in Mt Airy, years ago and they had (have) a large assortment of studs in different lengths and lug nuts. Don't think they were specifically for the few Military vehicles they run along with their regular business.

Lug nuts should be checked often, especially during a road trip since most of us don't have a torque wrench that covers the 300-400 lb-ft range.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
YES, you can get the correct LH and RH studs, inner wheel lugs and outer wheel lugs at any truck dealer or NAPA.

jrosbo

Wheel Studs

Thanks for the heads up Kenneth I wil do that. I normally check my wheel studs several times even after I have a tire changed no matter what it's on. As far as getting new ones I checked with NAPA, Auto Zone, a truck dealer and A truck service center that changes tires and such and nobody had one. I got tired of searching so I came home and checked with Saturn and memphis and Memphis was cheaper so I ordered from them should be here by Thursday.

jesusgatos

Dangit. Dead link. What's the trick? Old.somethingorother?

EDIT: here's the link, and here are the part numbers, as provided by da_sgt:

Here's some NAPA #' BK 641-1615, (stud I think) BK 641-2000 (Budd Nut), and BK 641-2011. I can't remember if these are the right or left handed threads, I think right?

Last edited:

spicergear

I had that happen when I first go into deuces. Tried like hell to get a wheel off the driver's side of the truck with a 3/4" breaker bar and pipe. Went to my buddies place and he tried with his big impact...still nothing. We went to a local truck place he know everyone well at and grabbed their BIG gun. Nothing at first...while a crowd of old salts gathers around my Army truck. Then a young guy in the back says, "those older trucks might have left hand threads on that side of the truck." My buddy clicks the impact to the tighten setting and pulls the trigger. That nut came undone so fast it shot out of the socket and danced around crazy spinning on the floor. We both put our heads down amidst the howl of laughter. :-D

jesusgatos

Dangit. Dead link. What's the trick? Old.somethingorother?

EDIT: here's the link, and here are the part numbers, as provided by da_sgt:

Here's some NAPA #' BK 641-1615, (stud I think) BK 641-2000 (Budd Nut), and BK 641-2011. I can't remember if these are the right or left handed threads, I think right?
Just got back from NAPA and that part number (for the studs) wasn't right. After a little more searching, I found these parts numbers on pirate. Had to order the studs though, so I'm not sure if these are the right parts yet. Guess I'll find out tomorrow...

mikew

I know this is an old post, but since I've got a new broken wheel stud....

And the part numbers have changed to:

LH Stud: WA-1211
RH Stud: WA-1210
LH Nut: WA-2007
RH Nut: WA-2006

olly69

I know this is an old post, but since I've got a new broken wheel stud....

And the part numbers have changed to:

LH Stud: WA-1211
RH Stud: WA-1210
LH Nut: WA-2007
RH Nut: WA-2006
it is now 2015 and I spun a wheel stud on the left side while loosening the other 5 nuts. If the numbers above for the nut & stud, how about the inner nut? i will have to grind off the nut and hope I don't hurt the inner nut (not the right name). Any good ideas how to get the nut off? I don't have a torch, so that's out.

olly69

Thanks for the link, but it is the lug spinning on the brake hub that makes it impossible to loosen the nut. How does the tools on the link help with that? When it happened before, I had to take off the axle nut & bearing to get both wheels off at the same time (while still connected by the one errant inner nut) and once it was off the axle I had to use a wrench & socket to get them apart. But there must be an easier way#@! Or is that wishful thinking?
Yesterday I did get the nut off by grinding it with my 4" grinder (just fit in the wheel) which will allow me to take off the outer wheel. Then I will have to grind off the inner nut to get the inner wheel off. Then replace the lug. Seems like a lot of work to thru just for breaking the nut loose!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Either a geared lug wrench or a porkchop and the 13/16 square socket. The porkchop simply grips the outside nut so the thimble can be twisted out of the middle. The geared wrench is the one certain way to avoid this in the future (and properly torqued thimbles).

TruckGuy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Deuce wheel nut/thimble/studs

Rear Duals...
Inner - Left Hand - WA2001
Inner - Right Hand - WA2000
Outer - Left Hand - WA2011
Outer - Right Hand - WA2010

Front/Rear Singles...
Left Hand - WA2007
Right Hand - WA2006

Studs...
Left Hand - WA1211
Right Hand - WA1210

olly69

Thanks for the link, but it is the lug spinning on the brake hub that makes it impossible to loosen the nut. How does the tools on the link help with that? When it happened before, I had to take off the axle nut & bearing to get both wheels off at the same time (while still connected by the one errant inner nut) and once it was off the axle I had to use a wrench & socket to get them apart. But there must be an easier way#@! Or is that wishful thinking?
Yesterday I did get the nut off by grinding it with my 4" grinder (just fit in the wheel) which will allow me to take off the outer wheel. Then I will have to grind off the inner nut to get the inner wheel off. Then replace the lug. Seems like a lot of work to thru just for breaking the nut loose!
Well, I ordered a geared lug wrench from Flee-Bay, and it took off the stuck nuts on rear wheels great! BUT, I can't believe my luck, now I can't get the thimbles off#@! I even used my 1 1/2" / 3/4" square lug wrench, and broke the 3/4" end of the socket! Or course I was using a 8ft pipe to get some torque on it, and it still didn't break loose. And yes I checked to make sure I was turning it the correct way. And soaking them in PB Blaster. Help! No, I don't have a torch, so that option is out.

olly69

Stuck nuts

I just wanted to report that I finally got my inner wheel thimble nuts off! My wife put pressure on the 3/4" lug wrench while I hit that end with a 2# hammer! The shock of it broke all 5 nuts loose, and finally I could get to changing the broken leaf spring! Doghead was kind enough to sell me a set of springs, so Saturday we put them on! Boy do I feel better about driving the old girl now - the truck, not my wife! Thanks all for the help!
I also wanted to add that the geared lug wrench is awesome! I broke the regular lug wrench (1.5" end & 3/4" sq. end) trying to break the thimbles loose, but the inner part of the geared lug wrench held up! Great tool, don't leave home without one!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks