• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wheel Travel - Steering Challenge

StackJ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello, it has been a while for me - primarily since everything is running!

Anyway, I have a 89 M998 and a 89 M1038. I have completed most of what I need to sell the M1038. Besides not knowing a price to sell it for (forbidden here), I have another challenge:

The steering radius is significantly less in the M1038. You can see the difference between both vehicles when turning the wheel full left or right.

There are no leaks or loss of fluid. I don't hear any strange noises. I have noticed that the steering box on the M1038 has likely been replaced - it is stamped Delphi. (not the pump)

Any quick thoughts before I tear into this?

StackJ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did a physical inspection and didn't see an adjustment. I didn't see anything in the TM about any stop adjustment.

I have this sinking feeling that the Delco steering box is out of spec and it just "fit". I have a donor. I may switch it out after doing a pressure test on the steering gear box.

Action

the steering stops are 1 bolt at the rear of each front hub. The head of the bolt point inwards. When the wheels are turned all the way to one side, that bolt will hit a flat spot on the lower control arm, right next to thelower ball joint.

It is in the TM. Looks for STEERING STOP MAINTENANCE in chapter 6.

StackJ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Holy Schnozzles! Didn't see this! Thank you! After reading the TM, I'm thinking my M998 is opened too much and the M1038 is about right! Love how they tell operators to draw chalk lines. Wondering if this is in a field kit somewhere! LOL Looks like I know what I am doing this weekend!

StackJ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got impatient and did what the TM recommended. My wheel stops were set to around 20 degrees instead of between 32 and 34 degrees. Wow.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks