• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wheel wet - Leak somewhere ???

Amxhunter

This just started about a week ago.

Middle Axel - Left side Inside tire is wet on the sidewall facing out. Also, there is a spray pattern where it's been slinging the stuff all over the left side , under the bed and all over the tail gate. I can't smell it.

Before you say axel seal -- on this axel I removed the axel and plugged the hole. Middle differential freewheels. did this about a year ago.

I pulled the wheels yesterday and the brake hub. The outer axel seal is dry , there was some oil looking residue inside the drum and the shoes were wet.

I cleaned everything off but could not find a thing.

To me , there seems to be only two possibilities.

1. Brake cylinder is leaking

2. Rear (inner) grease seal is leaking - but how do you tell ? and if it were I don't think it would spray the tailgate.

Any thoughts ? There's no other place for gear lube to come out on that side is there ?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look closely at your drive shaft pinion flange seals. They could throw oil that far. You would see it under the bed though.

I hate to say it but, if you taste the fluid, you will know what it is.

It has to be one of the 3(bfs, grease, GL1)

Are you saying the fluid is in between the dual tires? Or on the inside side of the inner dual?

Last edited:

Katahdin

I suggest cleaning and blasting compressed air through the axle vent(s) to make sure those work.

One wheel I had stopped leaking after I did this. The leak had persisted after I repacked the bearings and plugged the race hole.

WOLFMAN1

if the truck is sitting still and running you might be able to sit under it and have someone press the pedal and see where it shoots from unless it is already out of fluid. have you checked the master cylinder yet?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, he'll know it's dog pee, if that's what it is...

WPNS421

I can relate to this thread, last week we notice leaks on the center axle tires. I ordered seals and when we had everything apart everything was OK. What we think happened, when we last removed the drums we repacked the bearings but with the wrong type of grease. The last roadtrip was long and at high speed and the grease did not take the heat and turned to liquid.
Today all the bearings were cleaned and were repacked with a good bearing grease.

Amxhunter

Look closely at your drive shaft pinion flange seals. They could throw oil that far. You would see it under the bed though.

I hate to say it but, if you taste the fluid, you will know what it is.

It has to be one of the 3(bfs, grease, GL1)

Are you saying the fluid is in between the dual tires? Or on the inside side of the inner dual?

In between

Amxhunter

if the truck is sitting still and running you might be able to sit under it and have someone press the pedal and see where it shoots from unless it is already out of fluid. have you checked the master cylinder yet?

It has a remote resovoir and i can visually see the fluid level for the brakes.

Amxhunter

If it was the vent , then I don't think the tire would be wet would it ?

I am concerned that it's grease , but dont understand how it could atomize and it's sprayed all over the tailgate. It's even got spots of the stuff on the outer wheel rim.

Going to have to check this out further .

Have to find Mikey, he'll eat / taste anything !

Westex

While greasing up the fittings today, I noticed that on the forward rear axle, passenger side, I had a bunch of oil sling on the INSIDE of the inner rim. You can't see it from the outside of the truck. It was definitely kind of goopy, and I assume my inner seal has given way. 2 questions: Can you get the seals at a big truck parts place, or do I have to go on the internet to buy them?