• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wheels and tires, aftermarket

RoccoM1123

2003 M1123 what replacement wheels and tires fit?
It appears that 17” x 9.5” is the right size, however there are a lot of other numbers when you go to buy them. For example there is the offset, bolt pattern, center bore and backspacing.

i found these wheels from black rhino “armory”that are described as follows;
17”x9.5”
8 x 170mm bolt pattern
-18mm offset
125.1mm center bore
4.54” back spacing

will these fit???
Also, what tires would you recommend? Size and brand?
Thanks!

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

RoccoM1123

165.1 mm = 6.5 inches

Actually none.... This wheel has the most backspace but it's still only 5", instead of the stock 7". That means that the tire/wheel will stick out at least 2 inches.
At 122.4 mm its hub bore might be too small, too. (will confirm tomorrow).
Ok so maybe I’ll reframe the question. I want a set of wheels and tires, where do I find ones that fit? I like the way these black rhino armory look because they are closest to the stock.

Vapor Trail

I'm in the same position as you. It seems no one makes the same size as factory. Some people use method wheels to but it's a standard bolt pattern from other vehicles so you just have to understand and match up the numbers as best you can. Method sells them too but the backspacing isn't that much either.

RoccoM1123

I'm in the same position as you. It seems no one makes the same size as factory. Some people use method wheels to but it's a standard bolt pattern from other vehicles so you just have to understand and match up the numbers as best you can. Method sells them too but the backspacing isn't that much either.
So I think I found them! See the screenshot, now have to find the right tires

Attachments

Vapor Trail

Well the difference is 2.5" of backspacing and .5" wider so they'll stick out 3" further than the ones you have now on each side

MattNC

I have these on my M998. I wish I could have gotten the 6mm offset but they were out for quite a while. They fit fine, just stick slightly outside the wheel well but its not an issue. A little bit of rain spray escape but not onto the windshield. I put 37" nitto ridge grapplers on them.

ARMORY Gunblack Wheels by BLACK RHINO®. 17" x 9.5", 8x165.1 Bolt Pattern, 122.4mm Hub. Armory is the brutal weapon of choice when your vehicle must absolutely be victorious in the next dangerous...​

Vapor Trail

I don't know, I'm trying to get away from the military look a little and the wheels BR makes that I like don't come in any 8 lug patterns. Method makes a bunch of them but if you upsize to a 39 or 40 inch tire they're all 13.50 wide and needs a 10 inch wheel but Method mostly makes 8 inch or so wide wheels

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I think I found them! See the screenshot, now have to find the right tires
With -18mm offset those will stick out even further than the ones I linked to, in post #4.
Ideally, we want something around +50mm (positive offset), but I doubt that such do exist.

Regarding their hub bore, 122.1mm is OK. 122.0mm is what I just confirmed, on the stock wheels.

HMMWV Wheel, 24-Bolt.PNG

Agelai

Get some
Does the Hummer H1 wheels fit the hmmwv? example if I search the hummer on Black Rhino, this is what I get.

Link

Last edited:

Vapor Trail

Yes, The HMMWV wheels are 16.5x8.25 with a 7" backspacing. The bore diameter and bolt pattern are the same. If you get the wrong backspacing or offset they tend to stick out really far.

Reactions: OBX

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
offset and backspacing always throws me off.

Between 6 or -18, which way would the wheel sit?
Same here. Every so often I'll read up on it and start to understand, then a week later it's gone again like I never knew it. Like algebra... :shrugs:

EDIT to add: I think -18 sticks out more than +6

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
EDIT to add: I think -18 sticks out more than +6
That's correct. Anything negative means the mounting surface is inward from the wheel centerline.

See my drawing in post #11: that wheel has an offset of +55mm - which is a lot compared to commercial/ aftermarket wheels of the same size and pattern.

Agelai

Get some
Ahhh so the 6 offset may be more inline with the stock, or come to the fender?

I'm wonder if the black rhino wheels will go over the run flat system installed on the hub.

Vapor Trail

55mm is 2.16". If you add 2.16" to the centerline of a 9" wheel you'll get 3/8" less backspacing than factory. So basically, very close to factory. 7" and 6.66"

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks