• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wheels spinning on unlevel ground

tauteur

If I'm at any kind of angle, the humvee's wheels spin. It doesn't seem right. My nissan pathfinder can take angles better than this. If I don't take a slant straight on, or if any 1 of the 4 wheels aren't touching the ground, the thing spins and doesn't trek. I got it about 6 or so months ago from Gov Planet. This just doesn't seem right. Thoughts?

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
100% normal.

So the HMMWV has torsion diffs and no electronics to deal with loose/slipping wheels.
The torsion diffs act just like open diffs when there is no load on the system.

For best results off road you need to learn about and practice how to do BTM.
Brake Throttle Modulation.

There are videos and other stuff out there to explain it in depth, but the basics are: if you apply the brakes a little bit, then over ride the braking with additional throttle, this will cause the torsion differentials to bind, locking up and acting the same as if you had no diffs at all.

Coonass77

A Humvee will go just about anywhere. If it doesn't, then it's most likely due to the driver and not the truck. BTM (and anti-lock brakes) separate the people who truly know how to drive from the people who can press an accelerator or brake pedal and let the traction control systems do all the work for them.

Not knocking you or anyone else - just research, study and practice. You'll be amazed at what your Humvee can do.

TNDRIVER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I'm at any kind of angle, the humvee's wheels spin. It doesn't seem right. My nissan pathfinder can take angles better than this. If I don't take a slant straight on, or if any 1 of the 4 wheels aren't touching the ground, the thing spins and doesn't trek. I got it about 6 or so months ago from Gov Planet. This just doesn't seem right. Thoughts?
You have to learn to LEFT FOOT brake............it's odd in an automatic but I've done it all my life so it was not a problem. I learned that if i'm slow releasing the brake when starting to make a turn I could get tire scrub and squealing until it straightened out. As the post have pointed out how the diff's work its a skill to learn. Not as good as a locker but they do what a HMMWV was designed to do. There a couple of U tube videos that explain how they work.......... (It's magic)

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With that being said… keep in mind that if you lift one wheel on a sloped driveway it will roll down the driveway!!! Ask me how I know

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With that being said… keep in mind that if you lift one wheel on a sloped driveway it will roll down the driveway!!! Ask me how I know
Not if the transfer case is in HL or L
You were very lucky!!!

Last edited:

tauteur

You have to learn to LEFT FOOT brake............it's odd in an automatic but I've done it all my life so it was not a problem. I learned that if i'm slow releasing the brake when starting to make a turn I could get tire scrub and squealing until it straightened out. As the post have pointed out how the diff's work its a skill to learn. Not as good as a locker but they do what a HMMWV was designed to do. There a couple of U tube videos that explain how they work.......... (It's magic)
do you have those youtube videos links?

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While I've not experienced it on the HMMWV, I have seen that on other trucks.. so I always use wheel chocks when I lift ANY wheels off the ground. (I also use them on the HMMWV when the vehicle is on display at the local American Legion, in-case someone releases the parking break.)

Vapor Trail

I’m deciding about differentials now on my ride and there’s no good answer. Part of my driveway is 150 yard steep hill that no trucks can get up in the snow . I don’t think running the brakes and throttle hard for 150 yards is what you all have in mind when you say BTM is the what to do and it really kind of sucks that that’s necessary.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’m deciding about differentials now on my ride and there’s no good answer. Part of my driveway is 150 yard steep hill that no trucks can get up in the snow . I don’t think running the brakes and throttle hard for 150 yards is what you all have in mind when you say BTM is the what to do and it really kind of sucks that that’s necessary.
I would love to have a Detroit Locker in the rear and work on my brake to get traction. I will do one in the rear at some point and time. Bigger fish to fry. Before you lose traction you first need to drive. Lol that’s where I’m at. AC blows cold

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've used it quite a bit on the jeep trails with my foot almost constantly on the brake.
You're supposed to do it at relatively low speed. You aren't really building up much heat in the rotors with the speeds down low.
If you're trying to go fast then you might have an issue, but it doesn't take a whole lot of braking to get the diffs locked up.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just remember if you DO have one wheel up in the air and spinning: DO NOT SLAM ON THE BRAKES!!

Gentle braking is fine, but the inboard brakes means all that rotational mass is going to go through the geared hub and the halfshaft, and out of the system the half shafts/CV joints are the weak link and you WILL break them.

Just for reference, one wheel in the air spinning is doing so at a speed equivalent to 4 times what the speedometer says. The transfer case multiplies it to double because the opposite differential isn't spinning, and the differential doubles it because the other side isn't spinning.

So if your speedometer reads 10mph, the tire is spinning at 40mph. That's 160ish lbs spinning that fast. Plus the half shafts are designed for half the weight of a normal vehicle because the gear reduction built into the hubs.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just remember if you DO have one wheel up in the air and spinning: DO NOT SLAM ON THE BRAKES!!

Gentle braking is fine, but the inboard brakes means all that rotational mass is going to go through the geared hub and the halfshaft, and out of the system the half shafts/CV joints are the weak link and you WILL break them.

Just for reference, one wheel in the air spinning is doing so at a speed equivalent to 4 times what the speedometer says. The transfer case multiplies it to double because the opposite differential isn't spinning, and the differential doubles it because the other side isn't spinning.

So if your speedometer reads 10mph, the tire is spinning at 40mph. That's 160ish lbs spinning that fast. Plus the half shafts are designed for half the weight of a normal vehicle because the gear reduction built into the hubs.
You won’t do that on a 12k shaft

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You won’t do that on a 12k shaft
There are still plenty of people that have managed to break the 12k shafts.

And honestly, if you spin the tire fast enough and hit the brakes hard enough, then something WILL break.

The half shaft is probably the easiest and least expensive thing to break in the final drive train, so better to break it than say, the brake caliper mounting bracket, or the geared hub.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks