• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

When is a price too high

Scarecrow1

The other day I came across an item, well Items I decided to bid on. So I did the math on what was to be a ceiling price that I could make some money and still keep some of the items. The bidding was going fine so I decided to check the shipping and packaging cost, considering it was it was several hundred miles away. Making the pick up in person was out so I checked with one of the shipping Companies at the GL site. Ok I worked with UPS for 25 years I'm no dummy when it comes to the shipping industry. But man did I get schooled that day lol. The box would have been under 50 lbs . At most shipping charges should be around $50.00 to $70.00 at most with handling. But the est was $ 193.00 . Needless to say it was a deal breaker, Thank fully I was out bid . My question is how many times has the cost for shipping been the deal breaker for you ?? Is there a better way to have it shipped other than the provided site,s I'm a firm believer in making a dollar but not wearing a mask to do it LOL.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike,
Depending on where it is, and how soon you need to actually take physical possession, the SS pipeline is a method of gettings from one part of the country to another. The pipeline can be slow (IE, months), depending on who is going to which rally (or other event), or there can be no-one near the point you need to have it picked up from, but it does work, usually for a contribution to the cost of fuel. HTH.

goldneagle

You can always ask a member to pick it up for you. if you are in a hurry you can ask them to take it to a UPS Store and have them ship it for you. If you have a UPS account they can bill it to your account. I bet that would have been closer to your estimate for shipping cost.

conductorx

Shipping costs on almost everthing is the deal breaker. I only bid in East Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama. Maybe Arkansas, because I always plan to pick up the items myself. Pack and ship services are way too high. I also only bid on things that will fit on my car trailer or in my brother in law's M105 converted trailer.

Gary

I'll vouch for the SS pipeline as well....... I'd gotten an estimate from the UPS store outside M'burg, PA on the recomendation of Amanda at GL......... HAHA.... thankfully a SS member was able to help.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My first pickup was at Mechanicsburg, just about two years ago. Got a quote from one of the GL shippers of $193 for about 120 # that I got on a $50 minimum bid. To make a long story short, I drove the 1100 miles round trip and including fuel, food and motel spent $151.37. And I could have saved almost $20 by going to a fast food place instead of a steakhouse for supper! YMMV:-D

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Shipping costs on almost everthing is the deal breaker. I only bid in East Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama. Maybe Arkansas, because I always plan to pick up the items myself. Pack and ship services are way too high. I also only bid on things that will fit on my car trailer or in my brother in law's M105 converted trailer.

Gary
Thats my ideology, but I do plan to use the SS pipeline when I can/have to. I always get much more than expected when I ask a fellow member and you cant put a price tag on that. I plan to contribute when/if needed but I need a deuce! :D

tamangel

maybe this has already been voiced but aren't 'UPS Stores' a franchise of UPS in general? Seems when I have gone to the UPS Store at the local strip mall, their rate was quite a bit higher than going to the '...regular..' UPS location where the big trucks come and go..may not be as convenient or local to find the main receiving/shipping location but may save a few $'s..

Mike

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
also i know that if you get a shipping quot ONLINE, the ups store wont honor it a lot of times

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks