• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

When to change water pump backing plate

cbisson

When changing the water pump on an 802 or 803, what do you look for to determine whether or not you need to change the backing plate?

Thanks,

-Craig

Ray70

Other than physical damage like rust pitting near the sealing surfaces or gouging if your impeller was hitting it, there is really no reason to change it at all.
You're talking the large 5/16" thick plate that goes between the pump and the end of the head right?
Just change the o-rings on the connector tube and both gaskets while it's off, but I see no reason to change the plate itself.

cbisson

Other than physical damage like rust pitting near the sealing surfaces or gouging if your impeller was hitting it, there is really no reason to change it at all.
You're talking the large 5/16" thick plate that goes between the pump and the end of the head right?
Just change the o-rings on the connector tube and both gaskets while it's off, but I see no reason to change the plate itself.
Thanks Ray, yes that is the plate I'm talking about. I've got a spare but it sounds unlikely I'll ever need it.

jamawieb

Keep it. I was replacing a water pump one time and tapped the corner with a hammer to break it loose off the motor and cracked. One and only time but glad I had a parts unit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks