• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

When to Engage Front Wheel Drive

Reaper651

Hey All,
Ok I know this is probably a dumb newb question, but after searching and some extensive TM reading I still haven't found a definite answer. When engaging the front wheel drive on the T case, can you be moving or must you be completely stopped? I realize that hitting the switch when spinning is definitely going to break things. I found a bunch of threads about if the front wheel drive is engaging, but none on how to properly engage it. I have been stopping completely, engaging the switch, then I back up a bit and go forward a bit before getting on the throttle just to make sure its fully engaged. I found a hidden quicksand patch(Not really quicksand but it sure felt like it) when driving my truck last weekend. I engaged the FWD(which I should have done earlier), did my forward/ backward movement then attempted to get out. Just as I started to give it throttle, I felt the front end jump to life. I wasn't on the throttle much when it happened so I don't think(and I hope I didn't) hurt anything. Once I engaged the front end, the truck crawled right out. I got out to look at the spot where I was stuck, and to my amazement, the front and rear tires apparently were sunk in about a foot!:shock: These trucks are awesome!! I have also noticed that after I disengage the FWD switch, it doesn't always come out of FWD right away. I assume this is normal? Thanks in advance.

ke5eua

I guess your talking about locking the front axle?

When you lock the axle your just activating the axle to spin. This can be done in HI.

When you put the transfer in low the front will lock automatically regardless of the air switch on the dash.

When shifting between low and hi follow the little chart on the dash or tm and it gives you the max speeds you can do it while moving.

As far as driving in 6x6 all the time, it's a mixed reaction on that. I want to put the mwo that disengages the sprag on my 818 so I am not in 6x6 all the time, others will say it won't hurt anything, that's how the truck was built.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
??????????????????????????????????????????
This thread started out making sense, now I am so confused.
What kind of truck are we speaking of?
Especially which one automatically engages the front axle?

ke5eua

Op refers to a air shift transfer case in a deuce, ke5 refers to a 800 series 5 ton, two different animals.
Correct, mine is sprag his is air shift.

The air shift would engage front automatically upon going into low. Correct me if I'm wrong Ray, but if memory serves me correct it is the same as on the 939 series.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Correct, mine is sprag his is air shift.

The air shift would engage front automatically upon going into low. Correct me if I'm wrong Ray, but if memory serves me correct it is the same as on the 939 series.
Low doesn't engage the front axle on a deuce with a airshift you need to flip the switch . And preferably before you need it.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As far as I know the front doesn't engage unless you put air to it, Hi or Low.

Some one is faster ;)

Last edited:

RAYZER

On a side note, the sprag tc in a deuce will engaged the front drive in any gear when the rear drive spins faster than the front .

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please discuss/reference 5 ton trucks in the 5 ton forums and 2.5 ton trucks in the Deuce forum.

barefootin

Lock it in as soon as you are off of hard surfaces... You never know when you may need it. It's not only for getting you unstuck, it is for going down downgrades as well. A vehicle will slip quick using the brakes when going down a steep hill when the weight transfers. In my yard I have a steep grade leading to our creek. Try it without the front locked in and you'll have the butt pucker of your life. Lock the front in, put it in low 1, and let it go by itself and NO issues... I lock my Rovers and Chevy K in as well as soon as I'm off pavement. I also tend not to have the typical engagement issues with those vehicles like others do. You know what they say, "use it or lose it" :)

Reaper651

Please discuss/reference 5 ton trucks in the 5 ton forums and 2.5 ton trucks in the Deuce forum.
Thanks very much. I was starting to think this was a waste of a thread. I Realize that I didn't state what truck I have in my first post. I just figured my sig made it pretty obvious what truck I'm runnin. Thanks again.

Lock in the front axle before you get into a bad situation. It the ground looks even a little questionable, lock it in.
Yup I fully agree with you. I waited a tad bit too long to flip the switch. The steering isn't much worse in 6x6 mode. The steering wheel jerking back and forth on a full steer woke me up quick though. I read while searching for my question's answer that you should not try to hold the steering wheel still, but let it go back and forth while keeping it in the direction you want to go. I will do this next time.:doh:

Yeah you will learn ground conditions once you get stuck a few times. Experience goes a long way here. But yes, you can engage the front axle while moving.
Oh yes I can see that this will be a learning experience. I'm good at reading terrain from my years of lightning fastness on my Dirt Bike.:cool: But I realize this is a totally different beast to master. I need a front winch and some ground anchors as we have no trees here in ****, I mean Kalifornia(Yeah, with a K). I'm kinda dreading the day I get stuck. Hopefully I will be running with some Green Iron masters who can help drag my truck out of the foolish situation I get myself into.

Lock it in as soon as you are off of hard surfaces... You never know when you may need it. It's not only for getting you unstuck, it is for going down downgrades as well. A vehicle will slip quick using the brakes when going down a steep hill when the weight transfers. In my yard I have a steep grade leading to our creek. Try it without the front locked in and you'll have the butt pucker of your life. Lock the front in, put it in low 1, and let it go by itself and NO issues... I lock my Rovers and Chevy K in as well as soon as I'm off pavement. I also tend not to have the typical engagement issues with those vehicles like others do. You know what they say, "use it or lose it" :)
You have a great point about down grades. I have already noticed how good the low gears of the Deuce work for brakes. I can see how Having the front locked in would almost eliminate the chances of sliding down a steep grade. And I figure always running in 6x6 while off road would be hard on anything because the trucks are designed for it.
Also, So the front wheel drive taking a little bit to unlock after disengaging the switch is normal? If I read the TM right, it is a spring that pushes the clutch apart. Maybe its just gummed up a bit from sitting so long.

Thanks again for your help.:beer:

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is a dog clutch that locks it in. If it is under stress, it will not slip out of the lock position until the stress is relieved by driving, turning, backing up, etc. That is why it helps to back up a bit after flipping the switch to engage. It allows for the two parts of the dog clutch to align, letting lockup occur. So if you engage the switch as soon as you get off the hard surface, a little driving will allow for the parts to engage before you get in deep.

dezert ratt

Hey All,
Ok I know this is probably a dumb newb question, but after searching and some extensive TM reading I still haven't found a definite answer. When engaging the front wheel drive on the T case, can you be moving or must you be completely stopped? I realize that hitting the switch when spinning is definitely going to break things. I found a bunch of threads about if the front wheel drive is engaging, but none on how to properly engage it. I have been stopping completely, engaging the switch, then I back up a bit and go forward a bit before getting on the throttle just to make sure its fully engaged. I found a hidden quicksand patch(Not really quicksand but it sure felt like it) when driving my truck last weekend. I engaged the FWD(which I should have done earlier), did my forward/ backward movement then attempted to get out. Just as I started to give it throttle, I felt the front end jump to life. I wasn't on the throttle much when it happened so I don't think(and I hope I didn't) hurt anything. Once I engaged the front end, the truck crawled right out. I got out to look at the spot where I was stuck, and to my amazement, the front and rear tires apparently were sunk in about a foot!:shock: These trucks are awesome!! I have also noticed that after I disengage the FWD switch, it doesn't always come out of FWD right away. I assume this is normal? Thanks in advance.
You can be moving any speed, just make sure your off the throttle when engaging or disengaging front axle.
I take my deuce out in the dunes near baker ca, and have never had a issue engaging and disengaging front axle while in and out of soft sand. It's best to use it only when you need it and then disengage. My m818 with a sprag transfer case, feathers the front tires pretty bad on the highway due to the front tires pulling around turns.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks