• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

When was camo cover introduced

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When did camo cab covers and camo cargo covers come into use for the M35 series deuces?

I am tryimg to get the accurate cargo cover for a M35A2. I believe that this vehicle was used in Vietnam and need to know if camo covers came into use while this truck was in service. It is a 1971 and was sold by Govt Liquidation in 2007

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guessing mid to late 70's or early 80's.

Last edited:

steelandcanvas

I am tryimg to get the accurate cargo cover for a M35A2. I believe that this vehicle was used in Vietnam and need to know if camo covers came into use while this truck was in service. It is a 1971 and was sold by Govt Liquidation in 2007
A green canvas cargo cover and (2) green canvas end curtains along with a green canvas cab cover would be accurate for that time period. No camo covers (cab or cargo) until late '70s or early '80s.

Wolf.Dose

The trucks became painted in the early 70's in the 4 tone camo. Unfortunately, as I learned, the camo colours for Europe were sent to Vietnam and the colours for Vietman to Europe. However, they made the best of it and did a lot of variation on the painting over here to use the colour to their very best, but realy not before 1974, as far as I remember. Before everything was in brown olive (F.e. RAL 6022), the early 70's saw a change in the markings, the stars became black, door stars were completely dropped. Only the unit marks remaind white. All other stencils were in black. All this except Berlin units, where they overloaded the vehicles with white stars, just for prestigue. (The russian trucks and tanks on the other side used red stars, completely oversized compared with regular units, which almost used no red stars.).
Wolf

nattieleather

The FM called for painting of the canvas top and cargo cover to match the truck cammo pattern but the practice was rearly if ever done. In the world of duces the vinyl cargo cover didn't come into play until the early 90s and the 3 color cammo pattern cargo cover didn't come into use until after the turn of the century. So for your truck you can go with either 24087 Green with white stars and markings, or 24087 green with black stars and markings like Wolf said for a vehicle assigned to unit in Germany or if you want mid to late 70s and early 80s you can go with 4 color MERC cammo, but all will have a canvas top and a canvas cargo cover.