• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

When you put your vehicle in 4WD

edpdx

This M1009 is my first 4WD. That I have actually had to exit and lock up. I am checking it out for the first time since I bought it 6 weeks ago in 4WD. I have engaged the front hubs. Placed the column shifter in Neutral and while beginning to move forward, placed the TC shifter in 4HI. The WD dash lamp comes on. I noticed that when I make a lower speed corner or U-Turn, that the front wheel has a hop to it- sort of like the outside front tire suddenly became oval shaped. The steering returns to "normal" at the completion of the turn- I do notice a slight "loping" noise during all of this.

I notice that the transmission is slightly overfilled and that it slips in forward or reverse when I first start to drive it. It seems less noticeable as it warms up; but still there I think.

Are these things a sign of bigger problems? I was thinking of taking it to a transmission shop to have them inspect it and change fluids and filters. Any advice?

beanman1

are you driving it on the pavement in 4wd if so that is a big no no to much torque and bite will break the axles souds to me that you are because of the wheel hop the loping noise is the tires biting wanting to go but they fighting agianst theirselves because of the traction

edpdx

Yep, I had in on my paved street, made two turns and parked it. So, IFU! Now I know. Hope I didn't damage anything. I should not expect this sort of thing off road then?

What about the tans slipping in 2WD? Is this an adjustment for the transmission shop or or they going to tell me it's a No Hoper and that I need a new tranny?

Cucvnut

no off road is not like that. you can drvie your truck in 4 high ( how do you think peolpe drive in snow) you sure your truck slips in 2 wd and jsut not use to a 4x4 truck ? try changing the fluid and the filter and see if that helps.

edpdx

Yep, I'm sure the trans is slipping. When in gear I wait a few beats and give it some gas (any gear). There is no immediate response and then a few beats later it clunks in and we start to move in the appropriate direction.

My wife's old cougar does the same thing- i took it to a Cottman shop and they adjusted the bans for reverse and the problem was better for a while. I don't mind so much if a new tranny is needed- so long as i know the drivetrain is sound for my next outing. If the shop specs a new tranny are they likely to say the entire 4WD set-up needs replacing? Are they mutually exclusive?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What state is PAC NW?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great thanks, I updated your personal info, to conform to the rules you agreed to, when you signed up.

Cucvnut

I doubt you need a new 208 transfer case. if your the400 is shot have it rebuilt.

fyi Pac Nw = Pacific northwest for people from the ATL NE

ralbelt

My th400 trans slips also on the first two stop and go's, I have to tickle the throttle. After that it has plenty of get up and go, no slippage. It has new filter and oil it just needs to warm up, signs of a 25 year old trans that will need a freshening up down the road.

91W350

My transmission guy said that is pretty common for 400's that sit dry for a long time. The o-rings get hard and do not seal like they should until they get warm, apparently the heat makes them softer. I am not sure how accurate that is as my three do not slip. I know two of my trucks sat for an extended amount of time without being run. It would seem to make sense to me though... I had a 1970 390 HP 454 Corvette that was that way and a 1970 Chevelle SS396 (402) that was that way.... and to some extent my old 1970 C-10 with a 350 HP 396 was prone to slipping when cold. Glen

rnd-motorsports

Yes what you explained is normal for a 4x4 at low speeds on blacktop and I would say no you did not damage anything.2cents As far as the trans fluid go's have the fluid drained down to the full mark and see if it helps very well could! being over full will make a trans slip if overfull more than a little remember to check with trans warm and idleing in park on a level serface!

lindyp38

pacific northwest..........the abbreviation for Oregon.....is OR>>>>>>>>

....good luck with ur truck..........i wonder if linkage should be sprayed with wd 40 or something else.....

how bout using lucas trans treatment....?

would that work..or help the situation?

im new to cucv.........

ragedracer

Great thanks, I updated your personal info, to conform to the rules you agreed to, when you signed up.
Since we're nitpicking, what about this portion of the forum rules?

Signature: Members may use the signature spot at the bottom of their post to list their name, location, vehicles owned, etc… Members may not use their signature block for the sale of items (Truck for Sale! Or Deuce Hard Tops for Sale!) or advertising of any kind. A link to your SS classified ad in the form of FOR SALE may be posted next to your vehicle description. (Example: 1972 M35A2 w/w FOR SALE) No pricing, description, or terms may be posted. Again, no inappropriate language will be tolerated. No signature may be devised in such a manner as to insult, accuse, or defame the United States, the military, or any person. A SS Mod may edit a member’s signature without warning. If the member violates the policy again, their ability to post a signature will be terminated.

WARWAG

Its hard for any of us to determine what is wrong with your truck IF ANYTHING from your description and us being behind a computer screen. You could be experiencing just the normal diffrence in the front axle with the tires turned in 4 wheel drive. Or it could be something not right. As far as the trans have you checked the fluid level in the transmission? If its low it can act like what you have described. If the fluid is low you need to fill it to the proper level instead of driving it or you could burn it up.

kassim503

Mine slipped in that exact same manner when it was 1/2 a qt low on fluid, are you positive you have the correct dipstick? Any slippage is certain death for any transmission