• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where are the ground wires?

trider

I have been through 3 brand new sets of Those Military Guys HID headlights for my truck and haven't got a set to last over an hour. I am in the process of replacing them and have been researching electrical issues on the forum. Every once in a while when I turn on the turn signal it will just light up solid and if I manually turn it off and one it will start working. I replaced my fuel sending unit earlier in the year because my gas gauge didn't work since I got the truck. Ever since replacing it while driving down the road the fuel gauge jumps about a 1/4 at a time. From my readings on here I may have a grounding issue. What I have not been able to find a direct answer to on here is what ground wires do I need to check? I have found a few small ones on the headlights and turn signals but read about some that ground to the frame, engine etc. Thanks

w3azel

You can look up in the tm for which wire is the grounding wire or just trace them. The headlight grounds shouldn't be far it'll look like a wire that goes to a bolt. Some things like your turn signal switch use the contact to the body as thier ground, this can be replaced with a wire if needed. For any ground get some electrical grease, brake cleaner, and some sand paper. Clean the contacts as best you can but only spray the metal contacts with the brake cleaner. Its a little harsh and corrosive for the wire insulation. Apply grease between all contacts then reassemble. After that you can try checking the resistance of your grounds to the frame. Take a voltmeter and measure ohms. If you don't read anything that means your not grounding. While your at it check the voltage going into your headlights while the engine is running. Make sure your alternator isn't putting out some crazy voltage. Hope this helps you with your issues.

eagle4g63

The main ground wires are from the battery to the frame.....if you look at the top passenger side of the trans bell housing one will be there to the frame, the drivers side of head on the back will bolt to the cab...there is one on the bottom of the radiator on the passenger side to the frame(look under the truck) as you found the headlight grounds....the turn signal lever is the clamp that holds it to the column, the blinker itself is on the firewall and should have a ground wire...I hope this helps with your search.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks