• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where is this leak coming from?

kcobean

I noticed a small puddle under my left rear brake caliper. Upon closer inspection I see that the brake line into the caliper is dry, the bottom of the piston is dry and the drops are forming on the plate underneath the parking brake actuator. I can’t tell where the fluid is coming from though. Anyone seen this before?

23CF1FF9-F32B-49E8-BDFB-3D7DFC0FA265.jpgD9A9E480-4EF1-4597-ACDB-246F0828F35E.jpg

Dock Rocker

I am not trying to be a smarty pants but what kind of fluid is it? Does it smell like hydraulic/oil or brake fluid?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kcobean

I am not trying to be a smarty pants but what kind of fluid is it? Does it smell like hydraulic/oil or brake fluid?

SMARTY PANTS!!! LOL

It's 99.9% sure it's brake fluid. It's just a little on the brown side of clear. I'm just not familiar with the construction of the calipe with the ebrake integrated into it. Wondering if maybe the fluid is leaking out the back side of the caliper through the ebrake mechanism.

HETvet

Highly unlikely. The mechanical brake TYPICALLY has no interaction with the hydraulic brake system. They operate independently of each other. This is why you must twist the piston in as you compress it in; the twist is to “screw” it back in due to the mechanics of how the integrates parking brake works.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I have found if you leave the transmission in gear while the truck is parked for a period you can get a few drips from the transmission.

Carrera911

Mine leaks a little from the diff output seal. It seeps down and drips from the bottom of the caliper. Hard to tell if that’s where it is on the pics. If it’s diff fluid it will have that cat pi*s smell that diff fluid has. Not sure if dot 5 silicone brake fluid has a smell or not.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Diagnostic work is wonderful if you know how to do it. A leak on a truck and wanting people to tell you where it might be coming from with just a picture is a fishing expedition for anyone who tries to help you.

Diagnostic troubleshoot
# 1. Identify the fluid type.
# 2. Spray off the area and clean it and see if the puddle comes back. This also helps with blowback of fluid and other grime from the road and from the front of the truck.
# 3. Add UV dye to the brake fluid and drive it. Check for leaks with the blacklight. If nothing appears are X time then add it to the differential and see if it lights up in your leak area and so on.

Or the alternative. get your little jack out and take the tire off and break that whole area down so see what may be culprit if any.

Diagnostics will save you a lot of time on just swapping any and every part that's there vs effort of doing the work.

jeffy777

Mine leaks a little from the diff output seal. It seeps down and drips from the bottom of the caliper. Hard to tell if that’s where it is on the pics. If it’s diff fluid it will have that cat pi*s smell that diff fluid has. Not sure if dot 5 silicone brake fluid has a smell or not.
Kelly, I am having a small leak from the diff output seal as Carrera911. My HMMWV named Snake had that too. My buddy Roy I sold it to me said he was not worried about it after check the diff oil level. I plan on repairing it at some time bu I have so many other little tings to do first. I just check the diffs as much as I do change the oil. I have yet to really see the oil go down noticeably.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks