• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where to attach a recovery strap

mann650

I'm used to smaller trucks where the advise is never to attach a recovery strap to a hitch to prevent stored energy in the strap from turning the broken hitch into a cannon ball. Now that winter is approaching I am looking at the Deuce and wondering what the preferred method is there? Is there are TM that covers the proper way to recover a vehicle with the M35 series trucks? If not, do you prefer the pintle or the clevis' ? I have searched and it looks like there are possible issues with both.

mann650

I have no idea of the impact loading capability of the pintle or surrounding structure, it looks strong but I was hoping to get some knowledge of what others have done or if there is an approved method.

Guyfang

Staff member
Over 20 years of having to every once in a while do these kind of things, I will put my two cents in. Never seen anything bad happen when recovering a vehicle with the pintle or clevis. Never. And I have pulled just about every truck you can think of from 1972-1993 out of a mud hole.

Yes, I believe in the Wrecker TM's, and I remember reading in a Recovery TB, 30-40 years ago, the methods and how and where to secure towing/recovery equipment.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You most likely will RIP the front off of whatever your pulling out before you break a clevis or pintal.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMG_7665.JPGThis is my preferred method of attachment on the back of the 5 ton. However the 11,000lb lifting strap didn’t prefer the tow hook on the loader. Strap was in good condition, at least 4-1 safety factor, and was obviously overloaded due to stretching and shearing the stitching off the capacity tag. IMG_7667.JPG Welded the strap together from the recoil impact. Got out the 40,000lb straps and pulled a whole lot harder with no complaints from the pintleIMG_7677.JPG I wouldn’t trust the both the frame shackle mounts to pull as much as the pintle. I do always try to use a 25 ton shackle in the jaws of the pintle tough to keep the strap and the jaws happier.

Last edited:

CMPPhil

View attachment 777751

When you got two 30ks sticking out the back and a 15k sticking out the front you don't need no strap lol.
Ah yes, slow controlled pull of a big winch, while a snatch strap is a quick way to pull a stuck vehicle out, when a little gentle pull is going to do the job, a big winch is better when something is really stuck.

Amazing what parts either method can pull off a vehicle.

Cheers Phil

Sgt Jiggins

Potato Peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think Ferro still has the record for the most pulled via a deuce pintle when he used Bella to pull eight loaded 100 ton ballast cars and a locomotive off a barge at the Norfolk railhead.
Ferro is one of the few people I've met who a)could pull this off safely and b)I would consider attending the event with (as opposed to avoiding the s-show at all costs) because I'd probably learn a thing or 2.

SJ

mann650

Clevis in the Pintle. I have just learned something. Thanks to all for the great replies, It looks like the Pintle is indeed up to the mundane tasks I might throw at it this winter.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks