• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

where to buy sprag

mikew

Seems like I paid $50 each plus shipping, but do keep in mind it was a couple of years ago so the price may have changed.

ODdave

I understand that the truck at hand is used for mudding, BUT I think it should be noted that The front and rear outputs have different ratios in the Sprag case. This will pose a LARGE problem if manualy locked and driven on hard surfaces

Correct me if I am wrong G.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That IS correct. The gears for the sprag TC front output are 21T to 34T but should be 22:33 if we wanted equal ratio, front/rear. Pic below shows the parts in question.

Now, if both sprags were replaced with a solid 1pc splined hub and the clutch collar shifted to engage that large 34T-gear and that only on slippery ground, then nothing should break. BUT.. you still had that 8% more speed to the rear axle. That's why the famous REB kits also included a new pair of helical gears, with the correct ratio.

All very nice but as long as there are good used airshift T-cases around it makes very little sense to me to invest $$$ in modifying a sprag model TC, to be operated any different than what is does in stock form.

G.

Attachments

tgarrisoniv

well found a solution to my issue at hand, i simply took the solenoid off and shoved a lugnut against the air shift diaphragm and repleaced solenoid. it is now sealed and all time 4wd. works for me. :beer:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
YOU WILL break something without major wheel slip, you NOW have two gear ratios locked together, no different then little tires on the front, BIG on the rear, then drive down the highway,

You really NEED to read some TMs on the sprag as you have NO idea how it works.

Last edited:

tgarrisoniv

well, first off it doesnt see any hard road with 64x24 Rice and canes & um, not sure how you figure that? i have 5 tons with 6.44 ratios & this is a stock air lock case i am referring to... i have simply overruled the air lock feature. the solenoid no longer needs air to engage because it is always engaged.... i didnt do any sprag front swapping or anything like that. i didnt like the sound of that.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
well, first off it doesnt see any hard road with 64x24 Rice and canes & um, not sure how you figure that? i have 5 tons with 6.44 ratios & this is a stock air lock case i am referring to... i have simply overruled the air lock feature. the solenoid no longer needs air to engage because it is always engaged.... i didnt do any sprag front swapping or anything like that. i didnt like the sound of that.
We were talking about the sprag, so even a 5t sprag will have the same effort, with the R & C there will be even more load on everything, with the R & Cs grabing dirt at the same time, with a postive 100% locked, 100% of the time is putting a tremendous strain on everything with the TWO different LOCKED gear ratios