• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where to buy tire and wheel?

SPO

Hey everyone, first post here. I just purchased a new to me deuce and a half with super singles. I have searched the web and can't find where to purchase a spare wheel and tire. I could be wrong but I believe these are not your standard deuce wheels? Im also wondering if this dry 20220826_155121.jpgrot along the side walls are something i should be concerned about. Thanks20220826_155102.jpg

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes those are stock deuce wheels. Lock ring tube type wheels that people use to mount tubeless 395's with tubes. Not the best set up. That tire is dry rotted and will blow out. Many vendors offer 395s now, that is the most common US Army tire now. Shop price and delivery cost. Ask for date codes.

ToddJK

All the tires dry rotted like that? If so, I'd look into replacing all of them just to be in the safe side, otherwise you'll start having flats here and there (or blow outs where the tire just explodes and shreds apart damaging what's around it) and it may be at very inconvenient times, place,or speeds! If you drive it, make sure.yoir best tires are on the front wheels.
The others were spot on for where to look and what to ask for.

ToddJK

With older surplus tires, I wonder if there's a decent product one can use to help keep them from dry rotting. It's common to find tires that are in unused or good condition, but they are usually more than 5 years old. Be a shame to spend a couple grand only for them to last another 3-5 years give or take.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
With older surplus tires, I wonder if there's a decent product one can use to help keep them from dry rotting. It's common to find tires that are in unused or good condition, but they are usually more than 5 years old. Be a shame to spend a couple grand only for them to last another 3-5 years give or take.
Sun drapes over the tires.

Gypsyman

I started using 303 Marine Aerospace Protectant on everything (including tires) years ago. Been having very good results.

Gypsyman

I'm only a sample size of one but I've even been using it on rubber parts that I'm sealing up for long term storage. It evaporates MUCH slower than Armor All and other that I've tried. Also far less messy than the tire dressings that I've tried over the years. Just hard to find at a reasonable price right now.

ToddJK

I'm only a sample size of one but I've even been using it on rubber parts that I'm sealing up for long term storage. It evaporates MUCH slower than Armor All and other that I've tried. Also far less messy than the tire dressings that I've tried over the years. Just hard to find at a reasonable price right now.
Depending on the exact type, the stuff I saw on Amazon was $15 for 16oz. I got some aviation plastics and rubber conditioner coming, supposed to offer premium UV protection and re-conditions old plastics and rubber, same manufacturer that owns the 303 stuff. I cleaned my tires real good today and noticed I'm getting some cracking as well, it's minor, but cracking none the less.

Gypsyman

Honestly, the best crack prevention is driving. As the sidewalls flex it forces OZ barrier chemicals and natural oils to the surface of the tire.

When I had my last MDT the 19.5's were very stiff. Without a load the sidewalls would barely flex at all. Every 4-6 weeks I would air down the tires to get a bit of sidewall bulge and flex. Then I would put 20-30 miles on the truck before airing back up. The sidewalls looked brand new when I sold the truck more than a decade later.

ToddJK

Honestly, the best crack prevention is driving. As the sidewalls flex it forces OZ barrier chemicals and natural oils to the surface of the tire.

When I had my last MDT the 19.5's were very stiff. Without a load the sidewalls would barely flex at all. Every 4-6 weeks I would air down the tires to get a bit of sidewall bulge and flex. Then I would put 20-30 miles on the truck before airing back up. The sidewalls looked brand new when I sold the truck more than a decade later.
Good to know. I'll have to do that. Thanks!

HanksDeuce

For the 395 Michilin XZL, where is the date code printed?
Here you go:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks